60L Planted Betta Tank (How To Squeeze Big Things Into Small Places)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Since my last post I had to take him out a couple of hours ago as the gobies are nipping at his fins and they are looking quite shredded now :( I've removed him to the hospital tank and the dumbo girl has been moved into the tank. The gobies have tried to hunt at her dumbo fins but she is far too quick for them. We'll see how she goes. Very unhappy right now :(

Oh no! :( I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope the female fares better, but what about when she's sleeping?

Hope Nigel heals up quickly. 

Ninjouzata said:
Oh no!
sad.png
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope the female fares better, but what about when she's sleeping?

Hope Nigel heals up quickly. 

They mainly attacked his tail and anal fin, because she is a female her fins are very short; she's a dumbo though and has white pectorals which attract attention when she's swimming :) She's doing fine this morning. I think she's agressive enough that they know not to hassle her too much.

Nigel looks pretty unhappy this morning. He looks like a rooster with his tail plucked LOL and his pride has gone with it. He's currently in the hospital tank with a 25W heater to keep him warm. I pulled some blyxa from the tank for him to hide in and he's pretty much just sitting under it, sulking.

He'll be okay I think, but he's going to have a boring wait while I get organised to build him a new permanent tank.

Ah okay, hopefully they stay away :D

Awww poor thing! :-( He'll be beautiful again, or more beautiful rather as I'm sure he still is.

So you're setting up another tank for him?

Ninjouzata said:
Ah okay, hopefully they stay away
biggrin.png

Awww poor thing!
yay.gif
( He'll be beautiful again, or more beautiful rather as I'm sure he still is.

So you're setting up another tank for him?

Yes :) I already had plans for a third tank but this will just speed things up a bit. I still have to aquascape this 60l creature!

Beautiful tanks, photos and videos, well done. Hope Nigel soon feels happier. What camera do you use?
Just a thought if you cannot change your location, contact a mod, who will sort it for you :)

RCA said:
Beautiful tanks, photos and videos, well done. Hope Nigel soon feels happier. What camera do you use?
Just a thought if you cannot change your location, contact a mod, who will sort it for you
smile.png

Thank you :) I use a very old Canon Powershot 610 held together with tape to keep it going!
I will ask one and see if they can change it for me :)

Brilliant pictures with the old Canon, impressive. Will start a new topic on fish photography including waterproof cameras ;)

Please let me know when you do, would love to follow it

Busy, busy... all kinds of thing happening. First off Nigel is now in a new 20l tank. I took a snap of the damage. My female betta is now in this tank, and she gives as good as she gets. The gobies are now respectful and know not to mess with mama 
smile.png

post-8170-0-64223500-1394069649.jpg

The pogo and dwarf hairgrass I ordered arrived, and the scape commenced. I still have to get nymphaea nouchalis in but I can wait. Looks pretty rough at the moment but it'll get there in the end.

post-8170-0-16479800-1394069814.jpg

There was a lot of mess in the tank to clean up, it's still filtering this morning.

post-8170-0-15939900-1394069874.jpg

And I went to pick up my order of purigen to clear the tannins from the tank - out of stock! The lovely gent at the counter recommended this stuff instead, so we'll see how it goes.

post-8170-0-35206300-1394069928.jpg

Camera Topic is here
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/430820-fish-photography-cameras-inc-waterproof/

You do not really want to use Carbon in a planted tank, as it removes the good stuff the plants need, plus it needs replacing regularly as it gets exhausted. Purigen is a better option if you can find somewhere that stocks it. In respect to the Tannins the Bettas like this "black water" environment, and over time with the water changes it will decrease. Poor old Nigel, they really had a go at him :(. He will soon be fighting fit again, in fact he probably prefers a shorter tail ;)

Cheers for the advice :) Purigen is still proving to be elusive so it's going to be carbon until I can get my hands on some :(

In the meantime - updates! First off, a trip to the LFS to empty the wallet. They were slightly confused by my turning up not in work clothes, but recovered well!

A nice upgrade from the Fluval 88 to a 1 litre refillable and regulator with solenoid. That will stop me worrying about the plants fish when I am away at uni 
smile.png

And a quick duck into Bunnings to pick up a couple of power timers to automate the CO2 and lights separately

All assembled and tucked into the cupboard below the tanks. Note my professionally inserted hole in the back. 'Straya!

Bubble counter doing its thing

With three tanks, the CO2 gets split between them and I need something to control the feed to each tank but most air filter lever type jobs leak under CO2 pressure, so I opted for a couple of air splitters for the time being.

The business end, looking like the business 
smile.png

Fabio approves, and celebrates by building an enormous bubble nest, which he and his girlfriend Margie are busy filling with eggs as we speak 
smile.png

It looks beautiful!

The tank is looking awesome!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back