60 Gallon Stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have a 60 Gallon Tank, I would say Heavily Planted, 48" Wide, 24" High, 12" Deep.
Only fish at the moment are 3 Nerite Snails, 2 Garra rufas, 3 Asian Algae Eating Fish and 2 African Dwarf Frogs, I know its a messed up collection but its a long story lol.

My neighbor is moving across country and has 2 tanks with Fish, from his experience he's saying they will all fit comfortably in my Tank due to the different levels they all swim at and with the added plants, 2 x Aquafilter 70s and a 50% water changes per week it shouldn't be a problem.

List:

2 x Boesemani Rainbowfish
1 x Bristlenose Pleco
4 x Cory Catfish, (different variations but all smaller species)
1 x Twig Catfish
1 x Rainbow Shark
25 x Cardinal Tetras
2 x Scissor Tail Rasbora
4 x Blackline Rasbora
9 x Glass bloodfin tetras
9 x Candy cane tetras
4 x white skirt tetras
7 x Harlequin Rasbora
4 x Red Minor Serpae Tetra

So that is a total of 83 Different organisms in a 60 Gallon Tank Fishtank.
In theory, if they were to all get along, no chasing or nipping, would it be fine?

To me, the number just seems way too high, but I don't have any experience with tetras and I have seen large amounts of tetras in Tanks before.

Opinions?

Boesemani rainbowfish come from hard alkaline water and need to be in groups of 6 or more.

Pretty much everything else you list comes from softer, neutral to slightly acid water.

Serpae tetras are fin nippers

All tetras and rasboras need to be kept in groups of 10 or more.

Agree, in a nutshell, your neighbour is either not a knowledgeable aquarist, or he just wants to get rid of what he has and doesn't care (if he does know) this won't work.

Crazy story, he put the tanks and fish up for sale, a guy comes, puts a deposit to take everything 2 weeks from now. 2 weeks later the guy says he changed his mind and he can keep the deposit. The neighbor quickly puts everything up for free, he only found someone to take the tanks, the fish were put in buckets but simply not enough room.

So they are all in the tank now and I'm not going to lie it looks pretty great and very cool! Everyone has seemed to take a spot and no chasing, however I know just cause it may look fine that doesn't mean they aren't stressed

What are your opinions if I get rid of the following:

3 x Siamese Algae Eaters (they've started to eat my moss lol)
4 x White Skirt Tetras
2 x Dwarfs Frogs
4 x Blackline Rasboras
2 x ScissorTails
1 x Rainbow Shark

I'll add additional X number of fish to any Tetras or Rasbora group to make it 10. And an additional 2 Corys.

I know the Boesemani Rainbows are better in groups, but they are 1 male, 1 female and look very calm. If I add more than I know it'll be too much. They just look great with the wood and Plants. I want to keep them lol.

If I reduce that much, do you think it's still pushing it? Do I get rid of another group?

Sorry for the long post

get rid of the serpaes in addition to your list in the previous post.

keep the pH above 7.0 and the general hardness around 150-200ppm.

watch the boesemanis so they don't eat the cardinals and you might be ok :)

I agree, remove the Serpae Tetra, this is not a good community fish in this situation. I would also remove the Bloodfin Tetras too,m for much the same reason; this species is also a known fin nipper of slower sedate fish, and having them is only adding another issue.

So with the mentioned removals, you are left with:

2 x Boesemani Rainbowfish
1 x Bristlenose Pleco
4 x Cory Catfish, (different variations but all smaller species) + 2 = 6 total
1 x Twig Catfish
3 Garra rufa
25 x Cardinal Tetras
9 x Candy cane tetras
7 x Harlequin Rasbora

I wouldn't worry about additional tetras or rasboras here, the numbers are OK as they are existing and this may work better biologically. The Garra rufa already present needs to be kept in mind too, and these could consider the cories as food.

What are the parameters of the source water? GH (general or total hardness) is the most important, then pH, then KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity). Some fish have specific requirements, others are more adaptable to varying degrees. And parameters can impact fish stress and behaviours.

Just an update on my situation.
As I suspected having a hard time selling the fish, but did end up making a trade.

Traded 19 fish for 13, so I'm 6 fish less lol.

New Stock:

25 x Cardinal Tetras
9 x Candy Cane Tetras
9 x Glass Bloodfin Tetras
7 x Harlequin Rasbora
7 x Cory Catfish
5 x Black Ruby Barb
5 x Odessa Barb
3 x Siamese Algae Eaters
3 x Zebra Nerites
2 x Garra Rufas
2 x Boesemani Rainbowfish (male, female)
1 x Bristlenose Pleco
1 x Rainbow Shark
1 x Twig Catfish

At the moment it's actually very peaceful, absolutely no chasing, nipping. Colors look great.

Water Perimeters:

Ph: 7.8 in the morning, 7. before CO2 Shutoff.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
50% water change per week.

I know it's still overstocked, but is it doable at this point? Or do more groups need to go. Reason I keep asking is because it's a total nightmare trying too take them out with the plants and wood (glued in place).

Thanks

Byron sorry for not responding, I have a kit to test GH and KH on the way and should know soon. First time dealing with GH and KH. On the city's website the Total Hardness (mg/L as CaCO3) is 165.

Byron sorry for not responding, I have a kit to test GH and KH on the way and should know soon. First time dealing with GH and KH. On the city's website the Total Hardness (mg/L as CaCO3) is 165.

Presumably the unit they use is mg/l (which is the same as ppm), so 165 ppm equates to 9 dGH. Moderately soft/hard water. Avoid any harder water fish (all livebearers, rift lake cichlids), and the extreme very soft water species, and you should have no parameter related issues.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back