55litre tank stocking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ry4n7

Reaction score
I would like a couple of blue German rams and some neon tetra in my new 55 litre tank. Any advice on compatibility and potential stocking numbers? Or any other stocking suggestions in general

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'd have to say that I think that tank is too small for a pair of Rams, let alone adding some Neons as well. I'd be suggesting a minimum of 80 litres/20 gallons for a pair of Rams. There'll probably be someone saying that your tank would be ok for a pair but I wouldn't put anything else in there with them if you do.

If i had a tank of that size a few guppies would be all I'd stick in it, but that's just me.

How hard is your water? You should be able to find out from your water suppier's website.
If it is soft, a shoal of small tetras. if it is hard, guppies or endlers. Males only so you don't have lots of fry over populating the tank.

How hard is your water? You should be able to find out from your water suppier's website.
If it is soft, a shoal of small tetras. if it is hard, guppies or endlers. Males only so you don't have lots of fry over populating the tank.
Water is very soft. Have guppies atm but it's too much hassle buffering it so much every week. so I was wanting to give them back and get softer water fish. Ie rams, tetras etc

I have a 180 litre tank I could move the rams into if they got too big? Any idea what rate they grow on average?

What are the dimensions of the 55 litre tank? I used to have one with a footprint of 60 x 30 cm but most 55 litre tanks tend to be narrower and taller than my old one.

It is never a good idea to put fish into a tank knowing they'll get too big, even if you already have a bigger tank. And with rams, it is not the size of the fish but the fact they need more space on the bottom of the tank, unless your 55 litre is very shallow and wide.

What are the dimensions of the 55 litre tank? I used to have one with a footprint of 60 x 30 cm but most 55 litre tanks tend to be narrower and taller than my old one.

It is never a good idea to put fish into a tank knowing they'll get too big, even if you already have a bigger tank. And with rams, it is not the size of the fish but the fact they need more space on the bottom of the tank, unless your 55 litre is very shallow and wide.
60x30x30

That's the same size as my old tank. i would not put rams in a tank with that footprint. On the plus side, the 60 cm length does give you more options for mid/upper water fish, and is enough rooms for a shoal of one of the smaller species of cories on the bottom.

I had ember tetras, pygmy cories and cherry shrimps in mine.

That's the same size as my old tank. i would not put rams in a tank with that footprint. On the plus side, the 60 cm length does give you more options for mid/upper water fish, and is enough rooms for a shoal of one of the smaller species of cories on the bottom.

I had ember tetras, pygmy cories and cherry shrimps in mine.
Awesome. Thanks I'll have a look into something like that

The initial question of rams and neons seems to have been resolved, but just for your (Ry4n7) information this combo would not work regardless of the tank size. Temperature requirements are quite different for the named species. Rams must have warmth, 80F (27C) is minimum, but neons being cooler water will have difficulty this warm. Neons should be kept no warmer than mid 70;s F (76F, 25C).

You mentioned soft water, so you have several options for suitable fish in a 55 liter (15 gallon) with the given dimensions. Most "nano" type fish, which are small sized species, will be wild caught, and soft water species are much more common. In addition to the species essjay mentioned, there are the dwarf rasboras in the genus Boraras, all brightly red in colouration. There are many killifish. There are some gourami, like the pygmy sparkling gourami, licorice, eye spot, etc. All of these may be less commonly seen, but depending where you live you may have importers or online.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back