🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

TheHoodGuy8

Reaction score
Hi I set up a 55 gallon aquarium and I have some stocking ideas from a previous post.
- Already cycled
* Ph = 7.8 - 8.52 units.
* GH = 159 - 164 ppm
* Calcium = 47 - 78.5 ppm

Fish I'm thinking about stocking with:
- 2 Large schools of tetra (probably cardinals and something else)
- 3 oto cats
- 1 Small Unique pleco variant

Then I'm stuck on some fish that I'm not sure are compatible or not...
- Male Betta and some small south American cichlids
- Gourami, Dwarf Gourami, and Honey Gourami combo
- 5/6 Angelfish & some south American cichlids

Are any of these possible? If not any ideas on what I can add thats on the larger side? Anything I can add with a Male Betta?

Attachments

• 20210210_212316.jpg
    20210210_212316.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 78
You can't get 5/6 angels in a 55 gallon. That amount requires at least a 100 gallon. For the algae eater, I'd choose one or the other. If you go with ottos, 6-8 of them is minimum. 10 is a good number. If you go with a pleco, an acistrus, gold nugget pleco and clown pleco are good choices. Be careful with the last two i mentioned as they tend to be a bit more expensive. Cardinals are a good choice to go with angels. I just want to add that you can only really have 1 angel in that size of a tank.

I'd get a few more ottos than just the three, they are a loosley schooling species and in a tank that size 3 would get a bit lost you would be better with 8 or so.

Dont put a betta in a big tank you'd be better of getting a 5 gallon to go next to the big one :) With the gourami, there are a couple of combinations but I'd stay away from any of the Opaline Gourami because they can get quite aggressive if you want to keep them as a group and avoid the Dwarfs because of how wide spread diseases are in them. A trio of Pearl Gourami would look good and you could get a couple of Honey Gourami with them or you could go for the smaller Sparkling Gourami which would look better with the Pearls as they have similar colours and patterning.

I agree with @Fish4dawin the Angel route probably wont work, equally if you want smaller tetras like Cardinals you are better of with dwarfs rather than larger cichlids.

Wills

Most reactions

Back