55 Gallon Cycle, Early

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sawickib

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm cycling a new 55 gallon fish tank for my elephant nose fish community. I put about 30% water from my 75 gallon tank into it, and the carbon pack from the other filter. I also put one of the large decorations into it to try and put as much bacteria in there as possible. I also put a small school of feeder guppies and ghost shrimp in the tank to try and make it go faster and a marimo moss ball. I need the tank ready ASAP how long do you think it will take to be ready?

Water contains virtually no bacteria, and the carbon pieces don't have much area for the bacteria to colonise either.
I'd return the shrimp and guppies and pick up some ammonia from Ace Hardware and start using that. It'll be quicker and more accurate.

There is not really a way to say exactly how much time it's going to take unfortunately, as it changes from tank to tank.
Why does it have to be ready so quickly? Are the elephant noses in another tank with fish that aren't very compatible?

Ninjouzata said:
Water contains virtually no bacteria, and the carbon pieces don't have much area for the bacteria to colonise either.
I'd return the shrimp and guppies and pick up some ammonia from Ace Hardware and start using that. It'll be quicker and more accurate.

There is not really a way to say exactly how much time it's going to take unfortunately, as it changes from tank to tank.
Why does it have to be ready so quickly? Are the elephant noses in another tank with fish that aren't very compatible?
Well I ordered 5 elephant nose fish from my LFS and my current one is eating in the 75 gallon but it looks likes hes being beaten up, there is no large wounds on him just small abrasions, but also my tire track eel has lost the top part of his head, I have no clue what happened to him not sure if it was one of my bichirs or my BGK, but he still eats and moves normal like nothing happened so idk, maybe ill post a thread with a pic of him.. But yeah thats why I want to hurry, I can always put them in my 75 gallon until my 55 is ready but don't want to have to come to that. My elephants want be in stock for a couple weeks so that helps.

I was worried about that. Not good to mix elephants & BGKs.
I'm so sorry to hear about your tire track eel! I would definitely post a thread, hopefully someone can help you :/ That doesn't sound good.

I still think it'd be best to return the feeders if you can or move them or something as well as the shrimp and cycle the tank fishless with ammonia.
Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon to help you out.

I agree with Ninjouzata; getting some ammonia and doing a fishless cycle would be the best way to go.

Are you getting any readings at all for ammonia or nitrite in the tank, atm?

Your LFS might hold the fish for you, if you're not cycled in time. There really is no way of telling how long it might take.

fluttermoth said:
I agree with Ninjouzata; getting some ammonia and doing a fishless cycle would be the best way to go.

Are you getting any readings at all for ammonia or nitrite in the tank, atm?

Your LFS might hold the fish for you, if you're not cycled in time. There really is no way of telling how long it might take.
The sad thing is my dad still hasn't bought me a test kit yet, I have to buy everything with my own money. But i'm taking my water to be tasted a my LFS and i'll make sure t move my feeders back to their original tank and do a fishless cycle. Do pet stores hold pure ammonia?

I don't know of any pet stores that do. But like I said you can pick some up at Ace Hardware. Do you have one of those near you?

Ninjouzata said:
I don't know of any pet stores that do. But like I said you can pick some up at Ace Hardware. Do you have one of those near you?
I believe theirs one right next to my LFS. Thanks i'll see if I can pick some up today.

If you want to cycle fast, buy this: http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/freshwater-aquarium-products#one

Using DrTim’s Aquatics One & Only Live Bacteria: The best and easiest way to fishless cycle is to combine adding the ammonium chloride with our Live Nitrifying bacteria. When used in combination, these will cycle the tank in less than one week. Again, do not add too much ammonia. We make it easy by providing a bottle of reagent grade ammonium chloride that is at a concentration such that adding 1 drop of solution to 1 gallon of aquarium water will result in an ammonia-nitrogen concentration of 2 mg/L (ppm).

The procedure is to add the ammonium chloride solution, shake the bottle of nitrifying bacteria well and add it to the aquarium. Measure ammonia and nitrite the next day and record. Add ½ dose and wait 24 hours and measure again. By day 5 to 7, you should be able to add 1 drop per gallon and the next day, ammonia and nitrite will be 0.

Read the full  information here before you do is even better: http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/how-to-start

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back