55 and 20 high

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AlphinaNovaStar

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have five fish currently in a twenty high. A male swordtail, a female platy, and three Corydoras. Here is the issue. I am giving the twenty high to my mum for a birthday present and her birthday is in December. I am getting the fifty five gallon tank probably next week sometime. Once the money comes in I will be getting the 55.
I told my mum I will get the twenty high to her place by or during early November so that tank will be cycled by December. I am trying to figure out the best way to cycle the 55 gallon tank so that the fish will be out of the twenty high so I can start getting the twenty high cycling at my mum's place.

I am also planning on getting a ten gallon tank as a quarantine tank assuming it can fit on the same surface as the 20 high is on.

I guess I can use the water that is in the twenty high to put into the fifty five to help it cycle faster, right? I have to wait till October for the money to come in. Is there anything I can do in the mean time? What can I do to ensure the transfer of the fish from the twenty high to the 55 goes well? Also what can I do to ensure that the twenty high is cycling right at my mum's place when I take it to her in November.

Oh we are in the same zip code and live like five to ten minutes driving time apart from each other.

First of all tank water is just tank imo, yes it has some nutrients but it won't cycle faster because all the beneficial bacteria is on the gravel, decorations, and filter media. Beneficial Bacteria grows on stuff it does not float around in water. You are better off using the water for plants but if you wanted to save it just put it in the 55 but know that won't make it cycle faster. To make it cycle faster you will need old decorations, old filter media, and some beneficial bacteria in a bottle sold at any pet store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could take the filter media from the 20 gallon and put it in the 55 gallon. That would give you a boost in the cycle

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back