48x 18 X 20 - How Many Red Bellys?

realistically a four foot tank is plenty for probably 4 piranhas for life.... i have a 135 gallon tank and i have 9 piranhas that have been in there since the beggining and there have grown to be healthy for 10 and 11 inches... for those who say a 4 foot tank isnt big enough for 4 piranhas for life whether it be 65 gallon or 80 i believe throught my personal expierence that you could have 6 piranhas in the four foot tank and they would be fine

I;ve changed my mind anyway Iln going to go fro a red tailed cat with an arapaima as a dither fish

Just a curious question becasue i want to ask lol, how come bare minimum for 1 oscar is what 75g ish becasue of the waste it produces and the size it gets, but same sort of size fish that would imagine produce similar sort of waste can be housed in 4 in apparently what your saying a smaller tank than 75g?... isnt that sort of contradicting advice on other fish saying it's possible.

Again just curious as to what would be the difference ...... sorry to hijack the thread simonas ;)

Just a curious question becasue i want to ask lol, how come bare minimum for 1 oscar is what 75g ish becasue of the waste it produces and the size it gets, but same sort of size fish that would imagine produce similar sort of waste can be housed in 4 in apparently what your saying a smaller tank than 75g?... isnt that sort of contradicting advice on other fish saying it's possible.

Again just curious as to what would be the difference ...... sorry to hijack the thread simonas ;)

its ok Jen I've put this one behind me anyway and just seen my silly post last night when i was rather drunk hic

You cant have smaller than a 75 us gallon tank for 4 adults reds, that is the minimum and oscar's minimum size is 75 gallons because of the size they can get to eg 15" and a 75 gallon provides the width for them to turn where as a 55 gallon doesnt, not really to do with the waste they produce.

a 4 foot by 18 x 18 provides enough room for 4 adults, the general rule is approx 20 gallons per fish, that is a guideline and a general 75 gallon tank provides that.

You need HUGE filtration with these fish, yes 4 provide alot of waste but that is why you have big filters to cope with their bioload. Most keepers I know that have shoals will not use anything smaller than a fluval fx5 or big Eheim on their tanks.

You cant have smaller than a 75 us gallon tank for 4 adults reds, that is the minimum and oscar's minimum size is 75 gallons because of the size they can get to eg 15" and a 75 gallon provides the width for them to turn where as a 55 gallon doesnt, not really to do with the waste they produce.

a 4 foot by 18 x 18 provides enough room for 4 adults, the general rule is approx 20 gallons per fish, that is a guideline and a general 75 gallon tank provides that.

You need HUGE filtration with these fish, yes 4 provide alot of waste but that is why you have big filters to cope with their bioload. Most keepers I know that have shoals will not use anything smaller than a fluval fx5 or big Eheim on their tanks.

You still havent answered my question though, i asked about why a similar sized fish and if you say red belly's get to what 12 inches that would be the average size of a full gorwn oscar so if they grow the same size(roughly) then why can you have 1 oscar in a 75g but 4 red bellies..... you said yourself oscars CAN get to 15 inch ... they often dont!!!, red bellies would probably grow a very similar adult size to an adult oscar... however your saying an oscar is 75g for 1 but a same/similar sized fish can be house in a group of 4?, why is that?

its ok Jen I've put this one behind me anyway and just seen my silly post last night when i was rather drunk hic

It's more curiosity m8 than anythink else, i understand the principle of oscars would probably be better becasue of aggression whereas red bellies are better in groups, however its the size comparison to tank size which im more curious about and the fact that it doesnt make sense .... well to me anyways lol.

i dont think he knows what he is on about, he thinks 4x20=75.
i think 1 x oscar in a 75 g is about right and my argument is that it is cruel to keep 4 potentially 12" fish in a 4 foot aquarium.

Right, for the last time,

The general consensus of red bellies is you can keep 4 adult tank bred reds in a tank of 4 feet by 18" x 18" approx 75 us gallons or 300 litres. The general rule is 20 gallons, NOT LAW, generally 20 gallons, 5 gallons off making 75 doesnt matter.

If you dont agree with it then dont do it, simple, but go on any piranha forum and they will tell you the same thing, that is the MINIMUM for 4 tank bred red's for life.

I have alot of experience with these fish and know many owners with tons of experience including people that are import these fish for years, everyone knows that to be the minimum for 4 adult tankies for life.End of.

i have nine in a takn that 72 by 18 by 24 and my ps have lived there for 2 years now with no fights or anything and have all grown to 10 inches.... so my opionion is that u can fit more then people think in a tank

there are no signs of aggression between them there is territorial spuits within them.... i dont understand how u dont think it is ideal for them... but w.e is a debated topic the shoal has been together since the begining so i dont think its going to change now

Most reactions

Back