40 Gallon Malawi Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Im sure they are petricola as they have the white edging around their fins, it could just be my eyes. But from what I understand they are mixed up alot by LFS....

The yellow guys look bad quality to me, look like something out of P@H bad stock. It might be because Im comparing it too the Yellow Lab I got which I know these are not, but it looks similar to them, darkish bars and a drab look... It may be just because they are young.

Awww the synos are SOOO cute, how much did they cost you? I want to get 5 for my new Mbuna tank (around the size of your synos) I think they cost like a fortune though!

The yellow guys look bad quality to me, look like something out of P@H bad stock. It might be because Im comparing it too the Yellow Lab I got which I know these are not, but it looks similar to them, darkish bars and a drab look... It may be just because they are young.

I disagree, they look like good examples of saulosi to me. The one or two with faint bars may be developing males, or just a little bit of stress in a new environment, time will tell. All in all, it's a beautiful tank. :good:

congrats, that planted tank looks pretty rubbish to ranked 1st if you ask me.
cheers! ha yeah i think it is a montly thing because my tank is definitely not the best freshwater tank on the site.

Im sure they are petricola as they have the white edging around their fins, it could just be my eyes. But from what I understand they are mixed up alot by LFS....
well i bought them from my mate (who got me into the hobby) and he has been breeding ONLY these guys with the pundamilia nyererei so i trust him... should see how they breed soon hopefully :)

i really hope not

Awww the synos are SOOO cute, how much did they cost you? I want to get 5 for my new Mbuna tank (around the size of your synos) I think they cost like a fortune though!
i bought them off my mate for $10 each as small fry they are the fry of wild caught and he claims he has sold them for $50 (we are talking aussie dollars here) before, as fry. i'll breed you some and send them from australia to canada HA!

I disagree, they look like good examples of saulosi to me. The one or two with faint bars may be developing males, or just a little bit of stress in a new environment, time will tell. All in all, it's a beautiful tank. good.gif
i like dispute in science. i hope to be able to determine their quality soon (i'm a complete newbie) so ill get a mate or something to help. thanks for the compliment!!

cheers everyone! i don't know what i'm going to do to the tank next... i think i might get rid of the driftwood even though the multis love it because it is growing all sorts of crap on it and is sort of decomposing in the water. we will see.

I disagree, they look like good examples of saulosi to me. The one or two with faint bars may be developing males, or just a little bit of stress in a new environment, time will tell. All in all, it's a beautiful tank. :good:

yeah I thought as much, was just comparing them to my yellow labs is all. Feint bars, faded colors bad yellow lab. But coloring on these is different correct :p?

Here are some new macro shots. Any verdict on their quality?

2914316844_a318979615_b.jpg

^my dominant male i going through his transformation. notice the "dirty" marks on his upper half?

2913483481_3969479e22_b.jpg

^the bottom (in focus) fish here looks dirty. is this a sign of poor quality?

2913499417_c218b8f85b_b.jpg

^the kids :)

2914355794_8464d40d04_b.jpg

^regardless of their quality, they're damn happy and friendly fish!

2914367420_c67a0c1efa_b.jpg

^my dom male again!

2913534731_28e5e74d6e_b.jpg

^it looks like he has 5 o clock shadow ;D

2913546965_8372069650_b.jpg

^the marks again...

2914406994_a349607eba_b.jpg

^another male transformation?

WOW, great setup! have you had any problems with them rippin out any of those plants? i have been hesitant to this point to put live plants in my mbuna tank but i really do love the look

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back