30 Gallon Stocking (Aquascape)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So my general hardness is 30ppm and my carbonate hardness is 45ppm.

Where did these numbers come from? The GH was higher in an earlier post.

Where did these numbers come from? The GH was higher in an earlier post.
I went out and purchased a gh/kh/ph test kit and thats what the tap water read as. The previous numbers came from my water company.

I went out and purchased a gh/kh/ph test kit and thats what the tap water read as. The previous numbers came from my water company.

OK...but remember you have a water softener, I think? And your water for fish should not go through the softener, so it will be the water company GH.

OK...but remember you have a water softener, I think? And your water for fish should not go through the softener, so it will be the water company GH.
I turned off the softener, and then tested it. So it was through the water company.

I turned off the softener, and then tested it. So it was through the water company.

Sorry, I'm not sure I'm understanding this. The water from the city enters the house and passes through a softener, from which it then comes out the tap (entire house, or just the kitchen?). Are you sure the water is avoiding entering the softener?

Sorry, I'm not sure I'm understanding this. The water from the city enters the house and passes through a softener, from which it then comes out the tap (entire house, or just the kitchen?). Are you sure the water is avoiding entering the softener?
I'm pretty sure..I removed it entirely.

OK...so back to the numbers. Which test kit? The API reads in dGH, not ppm, so say 4 drops to change the colour means 4 dGH. This would be 71 ppm (you can convert dGH/ppm with 17.9, multiplying dGH or dividing ppm).

The water company number was from 8 to 15 gpg, and 8 gpg equates with 136 ppm or 7-8 dGH. The later test was 30 ppm (1.6 dGH) which is considerably lower.

OK...so back to the numbers. Which test kit? The API reads in dGH, not ppm, so say 4 drops to change the colour means 4 dGH. This would be 71 ppm (you can convert dGH/ppm with 17.9, multiplying dGH or dividing ppm).

The water company number was from 8 to 15 gpg, and 8 gpg equates with 136 ppm or 7-8 dGH. The later test was 30 ppm (1.6 dGH) which is considerably lower.
I used "API Test Strips 5 in 1: pH - NO^2 - NO^3 - KH - GH"

I used "API Test Strips 5 in 1: pH - NO^2 - NO^3 - KH - GH"

What is the unit of measurement for GH and KH with these strips?

I have just looked at the strips on API's website.
The GH results are in ppm. The bands are 30, 60, 120 and 180, and the dH equivalents are 1.7, 3.4, 6.7 and 10.
KH is also in ppm, but this one has more bands than GH.

That clears that up. So there is very soft water, but I am still wondering about the softener having some effect as this is much softer than the water authority indicates.

That clears that up. So there is very soft water, but I am still wondering about the softener having some effect as this is much softer than the water authority indicates.
I'm 98% sure that my household is not using the provided softener. I have asked my father multiple times and checked the plumbing and there is no indication of an in-line softener or an external softener. However, I may be wrong.

Now that we have established that:
My pH is: 7.2
My gH is: 30ppm
My kH is: 45ppm
My tank dimensions are 36long x 16high x 12deep.
Can we please start working on stocking ideas? Thanks, Hyr.

bump. I apologize if this is not allowed, I'll be sure not to do it again in the future. Thanks, Hyr.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back