30 Gallon Nano Reef Diary

I have a few big shells in my tank and they seem to be clean, infact they are all inhabited with amphipods. (although i do only have like 2 shelss in and they are medium / small)

ok so I havnt updated in a long time. Ive pretty much just been letting the tank mature until I started doing much with it. Just last week I added some new hermits and 3 yellowtail damsels, and a four-stripe damsel. The four stripe is grouping with the yellowtails which I didnt expect him to do...theyre all hanging out in the same piece of bleached coral so I guess that's their turf. Im going to eventually add a hawkfish and a clown...maybe just the clown. Anyways, thought I'd throw in some pics since it's been so long. In the top right of the tank, you might notice a chunk of rock kind of hanging out in the middle of nowhere. I had a chunk of dying/dead galaxia that I wedged near the top right under the powerhead so it could get as much flow/light as possible for now to try and bring it back to life. It's doing MUCH better after just a few days of being there. Anyways, here's some pics :) Oh and btw, Im sure youre all going to notice and mention how much red algae I have growing on my rocks and such...I know, I know...it's a mess. It's because I was so sloppy with my lighting schedule while I let the tank chill. Im installing automatic lighting timers next week. I probably dont have a large enough clean up crew either...working on it. Anyhoo:

Guardian of all tanks:
IMG_0108.jpg

Close up:
IMG_0196.jpg

Further back:
IMG_0197.jpg

Nude:
IMG_0198.jpg

Algae yuck:
IMG_0191.jpg

Just ordered these:
(1)dual specturm daylight bulbs, (10,000k and 6,700k)
(1)dual spectrum actinic bulbs, (460nm and 420nm)
(2) 1 watt lunar Moonlight

24in%20Current%20Orbit%202x65W.jpg

longtime no see chrissay :) Looks like you've got an nice orbit fixture there, should do nicely. The macroalgae looks like something I've never seen before... nothing eats it?

I would be interested o know what it is, as I just noticed a very small patch of the same stuff on some of my new rock, and my hermits that normally will eat anything off the rocks wont touch it :( Its like a deep red/purple moss , just like you would get a green moss growing on wod in a tropical aquarium.

welllll...I probably only have 5-6 hermits in that tank...and possibly a monkey shrimp but I havnt seen him in a long time so Im assuming he passed away. I was thinking my small clean up crew was the result of the algae but maybe not. Its really fluffy and definitely has a purple tint to it.

Ok a few questions:

Anyone ever heard of shaking a coral to make it liven up? Maybe it sounds weird...I have that chunk of galaxia that was doing really bad that Ive been trying to bring back and it's been doing much better but it had some sand and debris sitting on it so...I shook it off. I shook it around upside down, not violently or anything but I noticed about 5 hours later that it's looking waaaay better. Dunno if the shaking has anything to do with it but thought it may be worth mentioning.

Next question, clowns and yellowtail damsels...compatible? I know clowns are damsels and yellowtails arent the most aggresive damsels. Just wondering if they would get along or not.

And last...mangroves. My refugium isnt really doing anything except collecting junk algae. I had a big chunk of chaeto in there but it died off...possibly due to my crummy lighting schedule in the past...but I had also read that chaeto needs some sort of current to keep it rolling around? The chunk I had didnt float and the current in the sump isnt very strong...I ran a tiny tube off of the pump to give it atleast some flow but not enough to knock a chunk of chaeto around. Anyways...I want to either do chaeto again the right way, or do red mangroves. Can anyone link me or maybe just advise me on doing mangroves? I hear that monitoring magnesium levels is pretty important...is that for the plants or for the other inhabitants or both?

btw ski, whats up with the mantis tank? Ive been following that thread for a while now, anxious to see you drop a critter in there :)

I have that exact orbit lighting fixture. I have no complaints about it and I love it! Good luck!

btw ski, whats up with the mantis tank? Ive been following that thread for a while now, anxious to see you drop a critter in there :)

Yeah, me too... Was gonna do it this month, but the Department of Motor Vehicles accredited inspection shop I just took my car into demanded I replace the tires and breaks on my car :rolleyes: . Tried to plead my case to my mechanic that the steel ribbing coming out through the tread would make great snow spikes in the winter, but he didn't buy it :lol:.

Anyways, as you Brits would say, I'm skint at the moment :D

In the states here. South Carolina. So anyone have any ideas on the clowns and the yellowtails being compatible?

In the states here. South Carolina. So anyone have any ideas on the clowns and the yellowtails being compatible?

Lol, I just assumed :blush:. As for clowns and yellowtails... Sure they're compatible, but the only way I'd add them is if they were my last fish and I added them simultaneously

added lighting timers
3x yellow clown gobys
chunk of colored sand polyps...red/violet colored

just ordered a small purple tip anemone, coral banded shrimp, annnnnd a porcelain crab.

Most reactions

Back