3 Red Belly Pacus Are Attacking My Biggest Pacus!

Rosalee

Reaction score
I dont understad why 3 smaller pacus are attacking my biggest one, we have had all 4 for over a year and now they are starting to attack, what is going on and how can i stop this?!?

here is another pic of all 4

Attachments

• SANY1252 (600x450).jpg
    SANY1252 (600x450).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 98
  • SANY1256 (1024x768) (640x480) (250x188).jpg
    SANY1256 (1024x768) (640x480) (250x188).jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 84
How much does that tank extend past the picture? It looks a bit small for those fish... how big is it? Cramped living conditions is probably number one on the causes for agression list.

it is a 180 gal... its HUGE!!! its about 3 feet tall, 2 feet wide, and 10 feet long...

What is the latin for these fish? Are they Colossoma macropomum? If so then that tank is no where near big enough for them. And just looking at it it looks too small for the fish that are in it. The height of the tank is only double the height of the fish and so unless it's way way longer than it looks then I'd say it's probably the size of the tank causing issues.

3 x 2 x 10 = 449 US Gal.... not 180?

well whatever.. but trust me in it large enough for them, when my batteries charge i will take more pics

gotta agree with Curiosity, 190g is not big enough.

gotta agree with Curiosity, 190g is not big enough.

^^ If it's 180g... it may well be 449G and it also depends on what species they actually are. Alot of fish are named 'red belly pacu' so latin names would be very useful :)

Just saying cause I'm not trying to have a go at you Rosalee, I appreciate pictures can be misleading... but if it is 180gal and judging by the picture it's not big enough.

>< what? the fish have alot of room. that i dont have money to buy a 1000 tank either... we just bought this one like 4 months for 750.. so you tell me where i would get the money for a bigger tank, not including the room to put the thing on top of it!

the name starts with a p... we bought 2 out of 4 fish about a year and a half ago, then someone dumped 2 more on us. the funny thing is that my gold fish lives with them, along with 2 red devils and 2 algea eaters and they dont try eating my gold fish... oh yeah and a koi

>< what? the fish have alot of room. that i dont have money to buy a 1000 tank either... we just bought this one like 4 months for 750.. so you tell me where i would get the money for a bigger tank, not including the room to put the thing on top of it!

Looking at that tank it really does look like a 6 x 2 x 2 (which coincidentally is 180gal). Is it a 6 x 2 x 2? If so it's no where near big enough for it's inhabitants and that will be why they're fighting. You can get large tanks second hand for much much cheaper. Sometimes they're so large people just want rid of them for free cause most people don't have room.

we live in mn and we are renting... there is nooooo possible way we can get a bigger tank right... but it seems that my bf wasnt feeding them enough? i went and put like 3 handfuls of flakes, pond pellets, shrimp pellets, and veggies in there, and i will have to watch them cause they dont seem to be attacking anymore... (plus we bought them at walmart and the sign said they would only be 'up to 7 inches long') and we didnt know until after wards they would be bigger...

Pacu can and usually are pretty agressive, esp if kept in cramp conditions, No ones having a pop mate but that tank does look far too small for them, this is where the aggresstion stems...got nowhere to swim away...They do look nice specimens mate,but unless you have a tank the size of a transit van or bigger then i would try to rehome them,

mall of america said they would take the 2 bigger ones... but they are more my bfs fish... mine are the 2 red devils, the koi and the goldfish(which are smaller fish)

You have them in the tank aswell as these guys? red devil cichlid could be the aggressor...

This is pacu and other large fish, these are all rescue fish,including my tinfoil barbs,the smaller at top of picture,they mesured around 13-14inches,,which outgrew my five foot/two foot/two foot tank, this pond was huge, but he crammed them all in here as he was building a new massive tropical pond, along with the others he already had....

3951150899_fa77b38066_b.jpg

wow... yeah, we are looking at buying out own house cause we want a room of just fish tanks, and maybe a pond (for my koi and goldfish) that goes through the dining room or something... lol

you have some big fish there... the biggest pacus we have is about 11-15 inches..

Seriously you tank is not big enough for one pacu let alone more, rehome them asap....
If your located in the states,then give this bloke a call, seriously then keep your 2 red devils,removing the koi and goldfish as they are coldwater and wont go well in tropical for long periods, also red devils are evil sob's..

Then come here and we will point you into the direction of some good mixes, lord knows ive tried many mixes and failed, when it comes to cichlids its a trail and error game,

Just a example spotted silver dollars,much like pacu, people are always mistaking my big boy for a pirahna..lol

He's around 8-9inch disc
3279643042_4570db58ff.jpg

Most reactions

Back