3 males

cutecotton

Fish Herder
Reaction score
i'm thinking of setting up my 10 gallon tank fo ra while now. But i have two bettas so far (and i'm SOO tempted to get a third..), i have a barrier that's a solid grey color with holes through them (got them years ago when i had my tank and fry in it), anywyas, could i set up the tank, put the barrier in, and put one betta on one side and another one other side?

moreover, could i split the tank into 3 sections and fit 3 bettas? only problem wtih splitting the tank i see is that one section will have the filter, and another will have the heater, etc :blink: which may be the problem...

btw, the 10 gallon is the only tank i will. will the barriers work?

as long as the dividers have holes in them there should be not problem at all with your plan. three bettas in a 10 gal divided is lots of room. :D they willl be very happy.
I have a 5 gal that will soon hold 3 bettas. I have a filter in one section and a heater in the other section as well and there is no problem with it. I was nervous about that as well but I tested everything in all the sections and everything is the same. just make sure that the current in the section with the filter isn't too strong for your betta.

hmm okay cu zi was thinking of putting the filter in the middle section, and the heater in either hte left or right section.

is it really necessary to cycle the tank though? i mean, the bowls that my betta live in isn't cycled...isn't atnak just like a bigger bowl? -_- i'm a newbie as you can see...

but that gets me thinking that in the little bowlt hat my betta sits, would it have really high ammonia levels :blink: it has no filter, no cycling..just fish poop at the bottom (gives off ammonia right)? :crazy: ahhh that doens' sound very healthy. with that ammonia, my bowl probably has nitrite too and some of the bacteria and stuff...

No, anything larger than 3 gallons needs cycling. The only reason bowls don't need to be cycled is the water is replaced so ofen. In a 10 gallon you'll definitely need to cycle it first. The barriers will be fine and if you're concerned about the filter outflow, you can affix a piece of plastic or glass to the bottom of it to help distribute the flow better and keep it from being a current on your Betta. The water will also warm up in each section as if there was no barrier.

Teelie said:
No, anything larger than 3 gallons needs cycling. The only reason bowls don't need to be cycled is the water is replaced so ofen. In a 10 gallon you'll definitely need to cycle it first. The barriers will be fine and if you're concerned about the filter outflow, you can affix a piece of plastic or glass to the bottom of it to help distribute the flow better and keep it from being a current on your Betta. The water will also warm up in each section as if there was no barrier.
what she said except that 1 gallons (that are filtered) need cycling too.

Teelie said:
oh, tha'ts a good point there about the bowls and frequent water change...hmm i guess i should go and cycle my tank then..*sigh*

btw i read the stuff we have here about cycling, i get everything except where i can get ammonia? pure ammonia?

buggyboutbettas said:
I wouldn't say a 1 gallon needs cycling normally, though yes, if there was a filter in there (which I fail to see the point of) then it probably should be cycled though a 1 gallon or even 2 gallon container is fairly simple to replace water in frequently.

Teelie said:
buggyboutbettas said:
I wouldn't say a 1 gallon needs cycling normally, though yes, if there was a filter in there (which I fail to see the point of) then it probably should be cycled though a 1 gallon or even 2 gallon container is fairly simple to replace water in frequently.
Any filtration you can do is good :nod:

Something so small you would have to do frequent water changes on anyways which defeats the purpose of filtration as nothing really builds up or needs filtering.

Teelie said:
Something so small you would have to do frequent water changes on anyways which defeats the purpose of filtration as nothing really builds up or needs filtering.
1 or 2 gallons can get away from you quickly, any help in filtration is plus ;) also once the bacteria is established a weekly 1/4 or half gallon water change is all that is needed. Plus if one forgets or has to put off a water change for a few days it wont hurt. I do my water changes on mondays, and I cant tell ya how many times the kids had something going on and it got pushed back 2 to 3 days. Plus vacations when i am away I miss my water changes and it goes like a week and a half with out a water change. i am not going to trust my neighbor to do the water changes for me. All I need them to do is feed my fish and all is well.

A filtration system also adds significantly to your bacteria bed, and we all know that's a good thing. Personally, I say if you can filter it...do!

Most reactions

Back