29 Gallon Build

Hawkfish would be fine... unless you have sexy shrimp or similarly tiny crustaceans. They do not eat corals (ever), but larger hawkfish are known to eat tiny snails.

I hate conflicting information :blink: But if they are known to eat small crustaceans it would most likely rule them out anyway. I was actually thinking of getting a sexy shrimp, just need to do a little research.

Still trying to think of some other smaller sized, interesting fish.

I like gobys and would like a shrimp/goby pair like the one on Melevs' site. I really want something else that is going to be out and active so I'm kinda split on what to get.

Want an active little bugger? Pseudochromis Springeri. Mine's a curious, little guy, always out swimming and getting into mischief. They're a little tough to find, but neat little fish

Or if you really want to spend some dough, you could try something like a leopard wrasse or radiant wrasse...

Found them pretty easily online. Nice fish, good color, and you say a real character. Bit pricey but one I'll think about.

I've been searching high and low on the net for over a week and can't find a tank. I'm not looking for anything special.

All I want is a 20 to 29 gallon tank(same footprint 30x12 1/2 inches) It needs to be drilled with atleast one hole for a bulkhead and have an overflow. Acrylic euro braced or rimless glass would be best but at this point anything will do.

I cannot find anyone local to drill a tank and I don't dare to myself. Glasscages.com won't ship glass UPS and says the acrylic that size is too small for an overflow and 2 holes which i don't completely understand. :huh: Then they told me a 10 gallon that i wanted was too small for them to convert to a sump. :/

I'm really scratching my head on this and if i can't find something soon I give up.

:good: I may have a 40 gallon breader tank but no holes are drilled in it yet i also now of a LFS that i use that will do the drilling for you, i can even have the tank drilled for you if you give me some dims.

Remember that pseudochromis are as apt to eat tiny crustaceans as hawkfish are. ;) They will eat a sexy shrimp. I would actually not recommend including sexies as they aren't compatible with much to be honest. They are best in picos in groups.

I would recommend any small wrasses and gobies. If you do go for a leopard wrasses be sure it is eating before you buy it. They are similar to mandarins in this regard.

I would love to get a leopard wrasse but this is only a 29 gallon. Don't they get around 6 inches and eat mostly pods like mandarins?

Also wanted to ask. Has anyone ever bought rock from liveaquaria.com? I was considering an order of their Select Fiji Premium rock, 22 lbs shipped @ $79.99. I may also get a few shrooms/zoas and a fish in the same order.....if the rock is good.

Just ordered a Tunze Osmolator 3155(whats the wattage), a Jager 150 watt heater, a mag float, and 2oz of cyano glue. There goes another $250 :crazy: I think I'm creeping up on a grand and I still need to order LR, build my stand, and stock the tank. Marine is expensive as hell when you do stuff right :-(

Most reactions

Back