29 Gal Population ?

joojie

Reaction score
Hello all Im new to aquariums despite a life long fascination with them. My question is pretty simple. In my current 29 gal freshwater setup I have the following:
4 Diamond tetra
2 Emerald corys
1 Panda cory
3 Black skirted tetra
2 Pristella tetra ( I know two is not optimal since they are schooling fish. Yet so far they seem to be doing great.)

My question is, is my tank over populated or can I add a few more Pristella or maybe one more panda cory? Im happy with the population now and would be fine with leaving at the fish that are there. I dont know if I completely trust the aquarium center I bought everything from due to a lack of advice and withholding of information during my setup that almost cost my fish. Thank you and I look forward to you're responses.

Hi and welcome to the forum! :)

Unfortunately that is a terrible choice of stocking, all the species you picked are shoaling fish and should be kept in groups. It would be wise to rehome one of the tetras and increase the numbers of the two other species. You should also think about rehoming one of the cories and having a larger group of a single species. 

What are your water parameters? 

What filter do you have?

508 said:
Hi and welcome to the forum!
smile.png

Unfortunately that is a terrible choice of stocking, all the species you picked are shoaling fish and should be kept in groups. It would be wise to rehome one of the tetras and increase the numbers of the two other species. You should also think about rehoming one of the cories and having a larger group of a single species. 

What are your water parameters? 

What filter do you have?
It isn't a terrible choice.  I have often found my tetras school together and they don't look similar.  I have one white skirt and 3 neons.  The white skirt was the only one left and the three neons were all I could get.  They will do fine with other tetra species and will sometimes make friends with your other fish.  

You could add maybe one more fish.  It would still need to be pretty small, I haven't had any experience with some sort of cory, but if they stay small it should be ok.  :)

joojie said:
Hello all Im new to aquariums despite a life long fascination with them. My question is pretty simple. In my current 29 gal freshwater setup I have the following:
4 Diamond tetra
2 Emerald corys
1 Panda cory
3 Black skirted tetra
2 Pristella tetra ( I know two is not optimal since they are schooling fish. Yet so far they seem to be doing great.)

:hi: to the forum.

Is your tank cycled? If it is, how did you cycle it?

What are the dimensions of your tank?

Unfortunately, all of those fish are schooling species, that prefer to be kept in groups of at least six.
I would choose one species of tetra (your favourite) and one species of your cory (also your favourite) you can then rehome the others and then work on increasing the school numbers of the selected fish to at least 6, once you have chosen your favourites, come back to us and we'll be able to tell you how many of each you could have :) You may also have room for a centrepiece fish, such as a honey gourami or similar.

Hello all thank you for your respones and advice. Unfortunately I cant rehome any of the fish as of now. The tetras despite being different types school together and get along. That is with the acception of pristellas. They are the smaller of the tetra's so I think they are kind of pushed out. All the fish are healthy and all eat at feeding time. Well the corys of course come out when the lights are off to feed. The corys also tend to stick together.

I cycled the tank for a week before introducing the first fish. The people at the aquarium center said I was okay to add the next 6 a couple of days later. Which resulted in an ammonia spike. I introduced Microbe-Lift Special blend, ammonia filter flake sack, API quick start, and a live plant according to the advice from the same people within a few days the tank was and is fine and I do a 25 to 30% water change and clean the gravel about once a week depending on the water conditions.

The tanks exterior demensions are as follows: width 30in depth 12in and height 19in

If there is anyway I could possibly introduce maybe two or three more pristella that would be ideal. If not I will continue to try to find a home for them and possibly replace them with one more cory and just allow the tank to remain the way it is. I do enjoy the fish I just want to make sure that the pristellas arent being stressed and it doesnt seem like they are at all. Everyone gets along swimmingly if youll allow me the bad pun.

Most reactions

Back