🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Guppies4Life

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Do you think
A pair of german blue rams
6 neon tetras
4 cory cats
And 2 ottos would be fine in a 25 gallon tank?

Yes except I would bump the cories and otos numbers to 6 each since they are schooling fish like the tetras.

Be sure to have plenty of hiding places and plants to break the line of sight since if/when the rams start breeding the cories may get picked on since they're in the same level of the tank.

The 4 cory cats are doing fine as 4 and are extremely active, I already have the pair of rams and the 4 cory. I plan on getting the tetras and ottos a week from now. Also,I've read one Otto is fine alone, just better to be kept in groups. I don't want to overstock my tank, but we will see.

Doing 6 of each of the schooling fish you're wanting would not overstock your tank. It is your tank though so do as you wish.

Just keep in mind these fish are in groups of hundreds to thousands in the wild. Keeping them in low numbers = not feeling as safe = more stress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWIVCdLOImw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilnitMs1LRk

The videos say it well.  Shoaling fish absolutely must be kept in groups.  This is part of the fish's needs, and without providing what the species needs we are risking the health of the fish.  This aspect of fishkeeping has come up in several threads recently, so I've added a comment from Paul Loiselle to my signature block; I can't say it better.

Corys are highly social; aim for five minimum, but when space permits more is obviously even better.  You can easily accomodate this.  And something many do not realize, is that shoaling fish kept in too small a group actually have a greater impact on the tank's biological system.  I wrote briefly on this in another thread yesterday or the day previous.

As for the otos, I have found that three in a small tank seems to be sufficient.  However, I would here ask if you want otos because you like them as a fish, or if it is for algae control?  If the latter, it would be best to hold off.

The problem with what one reads on the internet is that anyone can set up a website and become some sort of "expert," without any knowledge.  One must consider the source, and when the majority of knowledgeable sources say this or that, one can accept that it is most likely to be good advice.  And you will not find reliable sources advocating fewer fish .

Byron.

Those are fish that see in the wild. Not at the pet shops. Fish have been bred for awhile and do not have 100-1000s of fish in their tank of their species. Also, adding that many fish to my tank would overstock it. My Cory's are as happy as can be from what I see, in the future I will look into adding more,
Also,cI want the ottos for algae control, and for fish. I love their personality. And have a bit of an algae problem as well.vicnow after the algae is gone I have to supplement their diet.

Guppies4Life said:
Those are fish that see in the wild. Not at the pet shops. Fish have been bred for awhile and do not have 100-1000s of fish in their tank of their species. Also, adding that many fish to my tank would overstock it. My Cory's are as happy as can be from what I see, in the future I will look into adding more,
Also,cI want the ottos for algae control, and for fish. I love their personality. And have a bit of an algae problem as well.vicnow after the algae is gone I have to supplement their diet.
I hope you will permit me to respond to this, and take it in the spirit I am offering it; not to argue, but to help you learn.

Obviously we are not advocating hundreds of fish, but what you must appreciate is that each species of fish has evolved over thousands of years to function physiologically in a very specific environment.  Considering only the issue of numbers, there is now a scientific study (the first looking into this) that has proven that shoaling fish kept in groups less than five will almost always develop problems.  Aggression was the usual.  Aggressive fish became more so, and peaceful fish became aggressive.  This is because the fish has only two ways to deal with the incredible frustration it gets when something like numbers is not present.  It can lash out, hence aggression, or it can do the opposite and withdraw to the point that it stops eating and wastes away literally out of fear.

Fish experience stress from these things, and stress weakens their immune system, uses energy that should be deployed elsewhere, and just plain wears the fish down faster so it will not reach its normal lifespan.  It is easy for us as aquarists to provide what the fish we keep require, thus avoiding most causes of stress.  There is no option here; the fish's very life is solely dependent upon the aquarist understanding what it needs and providing it, as Nathan Hill said in the blue quote in my signature.

Now, to your situation.  If providing what the fish needs is not possible in your tank, then you should not have that fish.  The fish is not going to somehow get around this.  And often we can't see the results until it is too late and the fish either dies or becomes severely sick.

One comment on otos and algae.  Otos will only eat common green algae and diatoms.  Problem algae like hair, brush, dot, etc will not be touched.  Just so you know.

Thank you for taking this to heart.  I only spend time here because I care very much about fish, yours, mine, anyone's.

Byron.

Sorry if i sounded rude.

Anyways, i have heard 4 corys are, but they prefer 6. Anyways, if o add could add more i would but i do not want to overstock

Most reactions

trending

Back