2 questions on plants

MattW3344

fishy wishy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
1. I have a monstera growing in my tank which’s roots now reach the substrate surface (35cm+ long) the tank is a dirtied tank with a 2inch cap. If I leave this to grown will it burrow to the dirt layer? or will it just remain In the water column?

2. I got a new plant today for dirt cheap. No label or info on the plant at shop. I suspect it’s an Amazon sword species but I’m not 100% convinced. Any ideas?

IMG_0381.jpeg

The plant shown is not an Amazon sword. I don't know its name but I have seen it. It is not an aquatic plant, but terrestrial. At best, riparian in nature (edge of streams or partially inundated areas). It will not do well submerged permanently. Although resilient, in time it will die if completely submerged.

likely the Monstera will continue on down to the dirt... my terrestrial plants mostly have air bars under them, that moves a lot of water, & seems to slow the roots down... but once they start going, like down to the substrate, you will likely need to trim them

I cut the monstera roots about 3 inches from the substrate, will have to keep an eye on it as it grows quickly. I took the unnamed plant out and put it in clips so the roots are in the water but the stem and leaves are not. :)

It looks like the houseplant aspidistra (cast iron plant).
It looks a little similar I noticed though, that this plant seems to have a thicker stem than the pictures of the aspidistra I saw

here's some more pics

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    601.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.png
    2.png
    731.4 KB · Views: 4

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back