2 or 3 way divided tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
The Story:

I've had a ten gallon tank, with some reused filter media from my main tank, cycling since the beginning of may. The only inhabitant has been one of my mystery snails to keep those white tufts from developing on the new wood pieces I bought. So far she has done a wonderful job. I originally intended for this tank to be a small scale community tank but have since changed my mind. After creeping along other aquarium trade forums and admiring their divided betta tanks I've decided try my hand at it. I already have a DIY divider made that is sturdy and double layed mesh to that water flows but its VERY difficult to see anything through (the holes that overlap are very small). I've already got a baffled filter, plants, wood, and air stones with an air pump set up to keep circulation going.

My Question:

The way people divide a ten gallon seems to vary, from two to three times and having once fish in each section. This only leaves about 3 gallons per fish and, to me, seems rather snug. Is it better to go with a divded 2 way or are these folks going 3 sections on to something?

I want to note that I haven't purchased any betta yet, this tank is simply ready at any time for fish to be added. Any fish I buy will be rescues from petco, as the store near me is horrid in their care for them.

it doesn't make any difference to water quality if you have 2 or 3 dividers because in the end it is still a 10gallons tank with 2 or 3 fish in. However, Bettas do swim a little bit so a bit more room would be better for the Betta. damn too many better Bettas here :)

For along time the standard minimum tank size for a betta was 2.5 gallons, so the understanding was that you could divide a 10 gallon tank 4 ways. But as of late, people are changing their minds, and they say 2.5 gallons is not enough, 5 gallons is now the minimum. And 10 gallon tanks are now being divided in half. I think 2.5 gallons per betta is the old American standard, and 5 gallons per betta is the new German standard that betta keepers seem to be overwhelmingly adopting.

A betta will indeed be happier in a "5 gallon space" than a "2.5 gallon space". More room to swim makes a happier fish.

Yes, there are exceptions. If you dig deep enough, you will find stories from people who say their betta didn't like a larger space, and when put back into a smaller space started acting normal again. But that is the exception.

I am not a fan of divided tanks because if 1 fish gets sick usually they all do.

You could do something like this. Images are NOT mine.
pcLk3Sq.jpg

Most reactions

Back