2 Filter Questions

**sarahp**

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've just added in a second filter to give 7.5x capacity per hour :good:

I got the usual foam with it but also some ceramic rings and some 'bio-stars' - like solid foam type things eerrr - difficult to describe hold on linky coming up!!!

http://www.maidenheadaquatics.co.uk/eshop/...products_id=365

these things!!!

So do they and ceramic rings make a big difference to the efficiency of the filter?? I have put them in - I'm just curious.

Secondly now I have 2 filters running there is quite a lot of current - I have the spray bars attached - but am wondering if it will be too much like a whirlwind for the fish (when they go - still cycling!) so if I turn the ferocity of the spary bars down will that reduce the gph working of the filter?? I think it probably will but again - just checking!!

The GPH rating of filters is almost always measured without media and gravitational resistance. So yes the addition of media will lower the GPH rating of the filter. Generally turning down the flow rate from the output will as well (since the slower it puts water out, the slower it can take water in).

Some fish like a little current, so your stocking list will have an effect on how much current would be good or bad. You can also test the strength of the current by placing some plants into the tank and checking how much they move. If you think the current is too strong, positioning the outflow towards a corner or wall will generally help diffuse the current.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back