19 Gallon Nano Diary - New Corals And Fish Etc

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

wow that took me a long time to read all that! thew! Im planing on getting another 24G tank and doing a reef setup,

I do have a slight advantage that i have prob £300-400 ($600-$800) spare cash a month to invest into it, so hopefully will be easier for me.

but this thread has helped me think about what i need,

so what are the full specs of your tank setup? do you have a skimmer? im still slightly confused as to what i need. but im looking to finish with a tank like yours at the end.

except with Clowns, as i do like them!

Darren

Hi Darren

My lighting isn't great so I'd be looking at researching for the best lighting you can get because you have the spare cash.

My tank is 20 gallons, I use RO water for every water change (You need RO, especially for a Reef set up)

No skimmer, no refugium or Sumps, Im hoping to one day get a refugium.

Anyways,

I have a lot of cured live rock over 10 kg's meaning over 20 pounds, 32 inch reflector with high power globe and a blue coral light for at night, two 500 litre an hour powerheads, an elegance coral, a small amount of Zoa's and a closed brain coral.

My stocking is a Rainfords Goby, Firefish and an Arc Eye hawkfish (not suitable for my tank and was a mistake but he hurt his eye so he is recovering) In Aus getting a clean up crew is very expensive so I just have what came with the LR...

Any other information (my minds not great today) just post...

Im hoping to massively upgrade my lighting within 6 months so I can increase my corals...

Question time:

Would a Coral Banded Shrimp be ok in my tank with a Rainfords goby, firefish and Arc Eye Hawkfish (the arc eye will go eventually).

Would I eventually have to get rid of the shrimp? would it kill my Rainfords goby, pick at the brain coral etc

tank size is 20 gallons

Eventually it probably will. Not for sure, but I've read plenty of reports on them doing this... Not an addition I'd have in my own tank.

Another thought, I just looked through your older pictures and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think your Elegance Coral is going to live :(. It looks like it has textbook ECS (Elegance Coral Syndrome), an as yet un-identified pathogenic infection which ultimately leads to the coral's demise. Symptoms are the inflated oral disk and short tentacles that yours is displaying. Within a few weeks/months, it will begin to bleach and recede into its skeleton, sorry.

Thank you for the heads up Ski

With corals, if they are going to die, whats the best way to dispose of them?

Im so annoyed that Australia don't get cheap CUC..... for 1 trochus snail it's $12

What is a sunset pistol shrimp (Thats the name my aquarium gets a certain shrimp under... what type is it? I don't know what it looks like)

Best way to dispose of them is to just remove the colony from the tank when it does start shriveling and retreating into the skeleton. Although you may be running out of summertime there in Australia, baking the skeletons out in the sun works great actually. Do NOT throw them in the trash inside your home. They will STINK bigtime.

Dunno what a sunset pistol shrimp is, sorry

EGADS AN UPDATE!!!!

Over a month since my last, I have been flat out doing two volunteer radio shows, university and caring for my fish...

I lost my rainfords goby, it just vanished one day...

I had to do an all nighter placing boiling RO water into my tank from 2pm to 8am the next morning constantly after a massive black out, so I was draining water, heating it up placing slowly back into the tank etc... fun night

and my elegance coral is closed up a lot however it's colour is good, my Arc-Eye Hawkfish has lost his eye but he is great, he swims in circles a bit however so he knows where food is.

I have two over 5 inch long hawaiin (sp) orange worms or whatever they are which I need to get rid of, and I have one very loud mysterious pistol shrimp which I've never seen... Oh and I had a break out of aiptasia after the black out

There you have it, an update :D :good:

I've been away from these forums for some time, and it's great to come back and read through peoples diaries. Because so much of yours was just to yourself it read like "The Diary of Adrian Mole" the aquatic version. I'm glad that things seem to be coming together for you now, after such a shakey start.

Most reactions

Back