168 Usg 3Ft Cube - 'the Hidden Cove'

Little Severum is colouring up now and very happy in the temp tank. However we saw him take a peck at Boris (Oscar) tonight, poor Boris, everyone beats him up! He's such a big softy, and so clumsy he can't get out of the way quick enough :lol:

That would be an awesome SW tank. its a strange size but very cool can't wait to see it all done.

that's one wicked tank they
have a similar size one in
a garden center near were i live
i know someone who as bought
one as a rift tank i will see
if i can get her to send me
some photos its a nice size
i miss my two 5x2x2's

lfs has a 200 gallon cube, thats 3x3x3

lfs has a 200 gallon cube, thats 3x3x3

Yeah I wanted a full 3ft cube, but the extra 1/2 foot would have pushed the price up by loads, as they'd need to use another strength glass.
With the hood on it does look like a cube, so I'm very happy with it :)

Good job I didn't get the 3x3x3 as I can't fit the 3x3x2.5 thru the door as it is :lol:

I agree it would look good as a marine as well. Maybe in the future!

Yay! Got permission from landlord to take out window so tank can be passed through :) SO HOPEFULLY ON TUESDAY THE FUN WILL BEGIN! :hyper:

I am wondering whether my FX5 is going to be enough filtration. It says it filters 2,300L an hour, which seems very good, but these are messy cichlids which will certainly put it through its paces.

I will have to see how it goes, and maybe add an extra external if I can fit it, or an internal to help.

My fish are currently in my 190L filtered with an Aquis CF1000 which keeps the water clean, however as its bare bottomed I can see all the waste food and poo on the floor :lol: So it certainly could NOT cope for very long with these types of fish. Of course the tank is not designed for large cichlids, but just for anyone reading who may have an Aqua One tank, I'd recommend upgrading the filtration :nod:

thats a nice looking tank!! you got the black silicone like me too , much nicer dont you think? instead of 1 fx5 id gor for 2 eheim 2217s ( and no its not fluvl vs eheim !) simply because should 1 break down ( unlikely) you still have 1 running while you sort it out .

Thanks Mark, yes I really like the black silicone. It's still under wraps so haven't had a full look at it all yet, but what I can see I like!

I already have the FX5, so will have to see how that goes, and add something else if I need to :good:

using only the 1 fx5 leaves you just over 1000L/PH short by my calculations the tanks about 630lts-140uk gallons that x 5 = 3150L/PH which is the minimum turnover you need for those fish really

this is some info i found when researching for my tank

Manufactuers rate their filters by the maximum produced by the pump under ideal conditions without media and things like hoses which isn't very helpful in the real world. Most cannisters seem to get less then 50% of their rated flow capacity when used in the real world
The Fluval showed a flowrate of 1991 litres per hour when full of media and connected which is about 57% of its rated pump capacity of 3500 l/ph

using only the 1 fx5 leaves you just over 1000L/PH short by my calculations the tanks about 630lts-140uk gallons that x 5 = 3150L/PH which is the minimum turnover you need for those fish really

Manufactuers rate their filters by the maximum produced by the pump under ideal conditions without media and things like hoses which isn't very helpful in the real world. Most cannisters seem to get less then 50% of their rated flow capacity when used in the real world
The Fluval showed a flowrate of 1991 litres per hour when full of media and connected which is about 57% of its rated pump capacity of 3500 l/ph

Thanks, that is very interesting.

My fish are all juvis, so I *hope* I can get away with just the one filter for a few months (Boris will have grown another few inches by then I reckon), as I still need to buy my lights and am getting skint :lol: This has certainly turned out more expensive than I hoped. Though is still way cheaper than a Juwel Rio 450 for example, even with all my extra bits... plus more literage :hey:

I am on the lookout for a 30-40l tank to put my Ram and Keyhole in, along with my Betta, Khuli loaches and shrimp. My hex tank is hard to keep clean, plus not enough floor space for the Khulis really. So once they have been moved, I will have a 5" Oscar, a 5" GT, a 1.5" Sev, a 2.5" Plec and a 3" Birchir swimming around in over 630L of water. They are going to look so small I think :lol:

Turnover is very redundant, more lph turnover can be added by simply adding a powerhead to the tank. Something like a koralia for instance. The media capacity of the FX5 should be plenty in relation to the fish kept .. ie. to hold a withstandable amount of bacteria to cope with the bioload.

What markandhisfish mentioned about a second is a far more feasible option, as mentioned if one fails at least the other can semi cope with the load while sorting the other filters problems.

GG, the tank is stunning and fingers crossed all the fish stay happy and aggressive free :).

Turnover is very redundant, more lph turnover can be added by simply adding a powerhead to the tank. Something like a koralia for instance. The media capacity of the FX5 should be plenty in relation to the fish kept .. ie. to hold a withstandable amount of bacteria to cope with the bioload.

What markandhisfish mentioned about a second is a far more feasible option, as mentioned if one fails at least the other can semi cope with the load while sorting the other filters problems.

GG, the tank is stunning and fingers crossed all the fish stay happy and aggressive free :).

Thanks very much, FishyJake, I can't wait to get it up and running B-) A powerhead is a good suggestion - something like a Koralia like they use in the SW tanks?

Thanks very much, FishyJake, I can't wait to get it up and running B-) A powerhead is a good suggestion - something like a Koralia like they use in the SW tanks?

Yep there the ones, you could opt for the equivalent 'sun sun' ones but they don't match koralia's in the quality stakes :)

yeah, i'm with Jake on this one. The Koralia will also work out a hell of a lot cheaper!

Thanks, I am looking at the Koralias. Would I be OK with a Koralia 1? Their flow is 1,500L per hour.

Also, where is best to position it? I've not looked at my FX5 yet, but presume is it has a spraybar, so it don't suppose it really matters what corner I put the powerhead? How far under the water do you need to put them?

Thanks

Most reactions

Back