120L Juwel Lido - 'eternal Cycle'

daizeUK

Fish Botherer
Reaction score
I had a space in my kitchen that was just right for a Juwel Lido 120L and after scouring the second-hand market for months I finally got one
tongue2.gif

The tank is 60x40x50cm, tall and fairly deep so I thought it would be well suited to an island scape and this is what I came up with
05Nov_zpsc4ad5cfc.jpg

The plants are mostly narrow leaf java fern, Taiwan moss and monoselenum tenerum.  There is some mini java fern and trident java fern dotted about, cuttings from my other tank.  There is a crypt becketti on the left and crypt undulatus hidden behind the wood on the right - I'm hoping this will grow taller.  There's a few other spare plants e.g. C. parva in there too.

The tank had been standing neglected for several years in someone's garage so it was a mess when I took ownership.  I ripped out the old internal filter and cleaned off the muck, replaced the lights and evicted a small army of spiders from inside the cabinet.
w00t.gif

004m_zps7801a6be.jpg

The tank now has an external Eheim Classic 2213 filter and an external Hydor 200W inline heater.  Here's the heater at the back of the cabinet
0042_zps2e1e3d5e.jpg

Finally, the tank cleaned and good as new!
0062_zps3a7f7e4e.jpg

I wanted this tank to be light and bright so there is no backing apart from a thin frosted film, which I managed to tear slightly so I'll probably need to replace at some point.
blush.png
  The pipes and wires behind are painted white, the best I could do since the only outlet for pipes is at the rear of the tank and not the side.

I chose some long pieces of Mopani wood and rocks from my favourite LFS.  The wood is secured in place with aquarium epoxy resin but this has proved to be a weak bond and some of the wood pieces are loose already.  I'm relying mostly on sand to hold them in place and I suspect it's a matter of time before I knock one of them over
confused.gif
  I'm dreading fixing them when it happens.

0037_zps563811da.jpg

Substrate is Tropica plant growth capped with Unipac Maui fine sand.  They call it fine sand but the grains are actually very coarse which is how I like it.  Not so fine that it will compact, not too coarse to make planting difficult.  I really like this sand.  The Tropica (pic above) is probably overkill, it's just for the crypts really as nearly all the plant biomass is actually tied to the wood or rocks!
0074_zpsf834b629.jpg

First plants went in on 19th October, two weeks after I got the tank.  All of the moss on the outer branches is offcuts from my other tank - I had a ton! I cut it all up into tiny pieces and wound fishing line around in the hope that it would stay.  It worked really well and the moss is already creeping across the wood and looking very natural.

I decided to call this tank the 'Eternal Cycle', partly because the wood reminds me of a dead hand reaching out of the ground 
ohmy.png
  and the plant growth will symbolise the cycle of death into new life.  Also because I'd like this setup to last a long time!  and finally as a joke on my first fishless cycle which lasted an eternity
laugh.png

029_zps5d48a8be.jpg

I decided a few more rocks and plants were required so I bought some taller needle fern and some anubias petite from someone's tank.  This has only been a limited success, the needle fern looks nice but arrived covered in snails... all of my tanks have been snail-free until now!
sad.png
  The anubias petite subsequently melted but I hope it will recover.  If not I will get more from a more reputable source!

I'm messing about with yeast CO2 in this tank, this will be my first attempt at any kind of CO2 injection, although I supplement with EasyCarbo as well.  It won't be super high tech but I'd like to try to get a little carbon enrichment in there, I'm not allowed to have pressurised CO2 
cry1.gif
.  The plants are all deliberately chosen to be undemanding so I'm not aiming for a lime green drop checker!  You can see a ceramic diffuser in the last pic, I had trouble getting sufficient pressure to make this work so now I'm using an airstone as a makeshift solution.  I know it won't last with CO2 bubbling through it
sad.png

23Oct_zps6b3a3364.jpg

This was two weeks ago, you can see that the tank was a little cloudy and this is gradually clearing up.  The wood is still leaching tannins, although not as much as I feared.  I hope by the time I post the next picture the tank will be much clearer and brighter.  It's currently cycling and I expect to be able to add fish within a couple of weeks.  Stocking will be a few male platies (need to get them away from my females
rolleyes.gif
), harlequin rasbora and possibly threadfin rainbowfish.

That's it for now, hope you like it!

Beautiful tank, really, really nice, I like it a lot! 
smile.png

That centrepiece of wood, rock and moss and java fern is just right for a tank like this. 

You say this is a 120 litre tank, looks way bigger than 120 litre to be honest! think its your decent pics thats making it look large 
tongue2.gif

Harlequin Rasbora and Theradfins would be good stocking, I would just have these two species and not have the male Platies to be honest, but thats just me.

I'm biased towards Threadfins anyway as thats what I have in my main tank! 
tongue2.gif

Are you planning on any stocking for bottom of tank? Cories or shrimps or anything like that perhaps?

Also I'd like to know how you get on with your 200w Hydor inline heater as am seriously considering getting the exact same one of these as not particularly fond of the look of a heater inside my main tank (see my sig pic to see what I mean) so any feedback on this inline heater would be fab!

Did I already say you tank looks really nice...........

Thanks very much Charlie!
The heater is working fine so far, no problems at all.  I love not having a heater in the tank!  It was originally bought to get the ugly heater out of my 64L but then I got distracted with the new tank...!
I had thought of cories but I'd rather have two large shoals than three smaller shoals.  I've always wanted rasboras although I still have concerns about whether they will enjoy my hard water.  I always thought threadfins were rather drab but I saw a beautiful batch at a different LFS and I thought they were gorgeous, especially when the males display to each other - hopefully I can get some like that!

Cycle completed today, less than three weeks after being seeded with mature media!

I could rush out to buy fish tomorrow, however I've decided to wait a little longer and upgrade the filter instead.  The Eheim 2213 was originally intended for my 64L tank and I fear it's not quite as powerful as I would like.  Meanwhile my 64L is underfiltered.  So my new plan of action is to buy a bigger Eheim 2215 for the 120L and put the fully cycled 2213 back to its intended purpose in the 64L.  I'll then start a new cycle for the 2215, it shouldn't take long at all as I'll have plenty of mature media to seed with.

Meanwhile, my fish-free 120L tank has become a haven for infusoria - It's absolutely alive with miniscule mini-beasts!  Whatever fish goes in there first is going to have a feast!  <omnomnom>

yahoo.gif
 Yaaayy!! 

Can't wait to see your tank with your choice of stocking.

smile.png

Pic from today.  I'm really pleased with the way the moss is filling out.

18Nov_zps781981a6.jpg

The tank looks fabulous i cant wait to see the stocking you choose.

Thanks for the kind comments!

The new filter turned up today but it came with the wrong part (inlet strainer).  It should be easy enough to get a replacement though.

That should not be too big of a problem to replace, let Eheim know and they should send you the right bit free of charge since will still be under warranty/guarantee.

Failing that, think quite a few LFS has some spare parts for a choice of filters including Eheims usually.

It's all sorted now, it was my mistake!  Because the 2213 and 2215 both use the same 12mm pipes I thought they would use the same size inlet strainer but apparently not.  The supplied one does fit after all.

Phew... I thought it would take me an hour to install both filters... it took me around 4-5 hours!  And some grazed knuckles... all done now though.

yeah, thats the thing, you THINK only gonna take half an hour or something, 2 hours later you still in the thick of it!

Know that feeling all too well 
tongue2.gif

Glad you managed to sort things out despite taking a bit longer, will be well worth the effort though. 
smile.png

Most reactions

Back