10g Stocking

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

n3ont3tra

Lets go Flyers
Reaction score
Would all of these inverts be okay together?
-4 Apple Snails
-3 Japonica Amono Shrimp
-6 Ghost Shrimp
-3 Amano Shrimp
-1 Freshwater Clam
-6 Panda Cories (I know they aren't inverts :D )
-5 African Dwarf Frogs
The tank will be heavily planted with Dwarf Hairgrass, Java Moss, and Anubias, with some driftwood. I'll also incnlude a piece of land for the ADFs, because I've heard they like to be able to get onto land, although it's not required.
Do you think they would keep algae at bay? There's 4.5wpg of light with CO2.

Ditch the clam.
Any land will cut away your water volume, so I doubt that's a good idea either.
You should also watch water parameters closely, apple snails make a lot of waste, and I believe the ADFs do too. Make sure your apple snail is a plant-friendly species as most will eat plants.

Also, you posted 3x amanos twice. :)

you don'tr really need land. it's a waste of room. i have freshwater clams. all i have right now is freshwater flat clams in my invert tank/ghost shrimp breeding tank/snail hatchery.

your way over stocked though. get rid of the apple snails. they can get big and they take up alot of room, and i could go on and on for reasons not to have them in a 10 gallon. otherwise it soungs nice. don't plant too much. the clam will want room to move around. and he will like about 2" or more of substrate so he can barry himself a bit. they like to hide the rest of there body and only show the part that brings in and pushes out water.

usually with an invert tank, it's prefectly clear water and clean tank. it's almost alll the possible natural filters for a freshwater tank. the clam filters water, shrimp eat dead things and fish food, snails clean the walls, etc. i would get maby a few giant ramhorn snails and some MTS instead of the apple snails. MTS will clean the substrate and the giant ramhorns are very cool and decorative.

good luck andshow us a pic sometime! :good:

No, I mean just a little tiny bit of land, like a floating piece of wood or something. Could I still have one apple snail? I really like them. Dizzied, why get rid of the clam?

So it would be:
3 Amano shrimp (didn't mean to put it twice, thanks for telling me!)
6 Ghost Shrimp
1 Freshwater Clam
6 Panda Cories
5 ADFs
and maybe an apple snail.

Freshwater clams aren't easy to care for. You can search this forum, there's probably a thread or two on it. They'll probably do best in large river tanks.

If you want an apple snail, pomacea bridgesii would be the best choice. They eat algae, completely ignores plants and grow to about 2".

dude, you can leave the clam. as logn as your water has food and moving water, like from an air stone or pump, then he should do fine. just don't have him if you are going to have just still water. that may be a problem.

i still think some mts and ramhorns would be good additions.

MTS would be okay, just watch which ramshorns you add. I believe all ramshorns are plant-eaters, though some will only do so as a last resort.

Sounds like it is going to be a rad tank :good: But don't you think 5 ADFs in a 10 gallon tank with all those other stuff is a bit too much?

I'm not getting a clam, then, but I do really want apple snails. If I find them to be a problem, I have a 29g tank I could put them in because I am getting rid of the plec. Also, wouldn't having all of the shrimp sort of cancel out the waste the apple snails produce? I have sufficent filtration and do 20% water changes every week.

RESguy: I really want ADFs, too. I figured they'd be okay because the only real competition is cories. I guess there wouldn't really be that much space, though, after all the shrimp grew... So... maybe 3 ADF's.

3 Amano Shrimp
4 Ghost shrimp
3 ADFs
6 Panda Cories
1 Apple Snail

yeah, i agree with res, i think only like 1-2 frogs. and i have had my clams for a very long time and i have even been succesful in gettinga few small ones too. mine are in a 10g with an air stone to keep water moving. i feed mine baby brine shrimp also. mine have been fine,, you should be asble to have a clam without any problems. but you can go with what they say i guess.

they are very awesoem to whatch move around.

I'm not getting a clam, then, but I do really want apple snails. If I find them to be a problem, I have a 29g tank I could put them in because I am getting rid of the plec. Also, wouldn't having all of the shrimp sort of cancel out the waste the apple snails produce? I have sufficent filtration and do 20% water changes every week.
If I am not mistaken, shrimp do not eat waste from other animals ;) Same as a pleco, they do not eat fish (or in your case snail) poop, they eat micro-organisms, algae, and food particles :)

yeah, nothing wil really eat that type of waste. i believe MTS MAY eat poo but i'm not for sure i know they eat things under the gravel but i've never really whatched to see what exactly they eat.

You shouldn't believe that your inhabitants will eat each other's waste.

If you add snails, you'll ideally want to keep your PH at least neutral if not alkaline. The shrimps will prefer it too.

I always thought plecs ate algae until I joined this forum lol. I felt bad because I never fed them or anything! Anyway, about the clam, I donk't really know. I have CO2, so if I add an airstone it will reduce the CO2 levels. I could experiment a bit but don't want to hurt anything. For now, I'll leave the clam out, but maybe later I"ll get one.

Does anybody know if RO water has a neutral PH or not?

Most reactions

Back