10G Betta Tank Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

quattroc2002

Reaction score
Hello all.

I kept tropical fish years ago so I'm not a complete newbie to the hobby.  Anyway, 4 weeks ago, my wife and 4 year old daughter brought home a betta. Unfortunately, the pet store sold them the "betta bowl" to house it in. Needless to say, 250 bucks later, he was sitting in a 10g tank on a stand with an aquaclear filter.  I had no choice but to dump the guy in an uncycled tank which was not my preference.

So on to my questions. 

First off, 4 weeks later, no cycling has not started as far as I can see.  I test every other day for ammonia/nitrite and have yet to see any readings.  I'm very careful with feedings to ensure there is no waste in the tank and do a water change once a week.  I'm wondering if a single betta just isn't producing enough waste to start the cycle? 

Secondly, he is in a tank with 3 plastic plants and some driftwood.  I've never seen this before in any tank I've kept but there is a film at the surface of the tank.  It kind of looks like some kind of oil as its sort of miky rainbow coloured.  It's more noticeable if I reduce the flow of my filter (preferable with a betta).  I've been skimming it off regularly but it keeps coming back.  Kind of baffled as to the cause of this.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

the oil like stuff is a caused when there is not enough movement to the the surface of the water (the water surface is constantly moving) I know in my 10 gallon tank that will happen when 1. my filter is clogged 2. when I have to much water in the tank. I have gotten it to where I know the right level of water to put in so the filter makes little waves on top of the water. hope that helped:) someone correct me if i'm wrong

I'll definitely try out reducing the water level but curious as to what causes it. 

If you're feeding a betta-specific food it's possibly higher in fat/oil content and it's the excess oil filming on the surface.

When I bought my quarantine tank it came with "extras" - betta pellets, mirrors, fake plants etc. I have been using a bit of the betta pellets about once a week to introduce variety into my fishes' diet, and I can see the oil leaching out of the tablets as they sink.

I've never seen this before in any tank I've kept but there is a film at the surface of the tank.  It kind of looks like some kind of oil as its sort of miky rainbow coloured

the oil like stuff is a caused when there is not enough movement to the the surface of the water (the water surface is constantly moving) I know in my 10 gallon tank that will happen when 1
Live Floating plants help in eliminating this.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back