10 Tank's fish and tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You can put a T-piece and tap on the hose and reduce the amount of water coming out of the hose. Or swapping it for a smaller pump also works :)

Hello again. We returned the larger pump and already have the replacement. We have an Amazon distribution center about 20 minutes away and can get quite a few orders the same day, provided we order early enough. There are some advantages to living close to big cities and having an airport that's centrally located in the US and is sixth largest in the entire world. 78 million passengers last year alone. Glad I don't fly anywhere.

Anyway, we got a much smaller version of the water pump we had. This one is very small and will replace half the water in a 55 gallon tank in roughly 20 minutes. The other one would have done the job in half the time, but would have rearranged everything in the tank. So, we're good. We can remove and replace half the tank water and squeeze out the sponge filters in about 40 minutes, not bad.

Last edited:
Hello again. We returned the larger pump and already have the replacement. We have an Amazon distribution center about 20 minutes away and can get quite a few orders the same day, provided we order early enough. There are some advantages to living close to big cities and having an airport that's centrally located in the US and is sixth largest in the entire world. 78 million passengers last year alone. Glad I don't fly anywhere.
The drawback is the constant noise from planes flying around. You might be lucky and not near the flight path but I am under two flight paths. Perth airport is on one side and has planes coming from the other side of the country and also across the Indian ocean. Jandakot airport is on the other side and deals with lots of small aircraft, as well as emergency choppers (police, fire, ambulance). We also have planes and choppers going from Jandakot to Perth and back. We have aircraft flying over every 5-10 minutes from 5am to 3am. We also have the police choppers hovering around at all hours of the night when they are chasing baddies. It's not fun being under a flight path :(

Helicopters have been our bane. Especially late summer early fall. We border dairy country. That means large tracts of well feralized corn. Pot growers grow product within and at the edges of these fields. DEA and local sheriffs fly low with infrared sensors to discover the crops. It goes on from dawn till dusk.
I have noticed a decrease in the past couple of years as the state timidly nurtures pot as a legal tax source.

Helicopters have been our bane. Especially late summer early fall. We border dairy country. That means large tracts of well feralized corn. Pot growers grow product within and at the edges of these fields. DEA and local sheriffs fly low with infrared sensors to discover the crops. It goes on from dawn till dusk.
I have noticed a decrease in the past couple of years as the state timidly nurtures pot as a legal tax source.
Hello. I understand. Pot is legal here. We even celebrate the day it was legalized, 4/20. There are many pot shops here and the money that's taken in annually in taxes alone is staggering. Anyway, I'll confine my posts to the subject.

Hello. It's late afternoon on a Sunday. Finished changing the water in the outdoor 300 gallon trough. The aeration stopped. Some electrical thing with the outlet. But, we've gotten it up and running again. The fish are always more active after a large water change. It's like taking a shower after a long day of working out in the garden. Very energizing.

Monday morning. The weather is finally starting to come around to warmer temperatures. I'm in the basement Tank Room draining out half the water in the 45 gallon. We'll finish up this one and do a couple of 55 gallon tanks. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, give or take a few minutes. The plants in the 45 have kind of taken over. But, when the Platys in this tank drop fry, there's a high survival rate, due to all the hiding places. There are around 20 Platys and about that many Guppies. We have Anacharis and Java Fern in this one. The Fern has been in this tank for roughly 10 years. If I can figure out my wife's cell phone I'll take a photo of the tank and post it.

Monday supplemental post. Here's the photo of the 45 gallon tank. It's a little over planted.

Attachments

• Anacharis in 45 G.jpg
    Anacharis in 45 G.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 4
Hello and good morning. It's Tuesday and we'll work on three tanks. As always, we remove and replace half the tank water or just a bit more. We no longer have filters in the tanks. We use parts of the sponge filters to aerate the tank water. We probably don't need the aeration either. By replacing most of the tank water weekly, we will maintain healthy oxygen levels. We'll replace all the nutrients the fish and plant use during the time between water changes. The need for water changes isn't just about removing nitrogen from the fish and plant waste, it's also about replacing the chemicals in the water the fish and plants are always using. You can have just a few fish in a large tank, but the water chemistry is under constant change when exposed to oxygen in the air. Water changes maintain a steady water chemistry in addition to removing the dissolved waste material from whatever lives in the tank.

It's Wednesday morning and we've had a change in plans. No tanks today, will have to do them later. Have an errand to run that can't wait. We get a curve thrown at us once in a while and we have to be flexible with our tank schedule. The good thing about changing out the fish tank water so often, is you can miss a day or two and the water in the tank is essentially unaffected.

Thursday morning. We're in for a busy day today. We'll try to squeeze in five tanks today, to make up for the ones we missed yesterday. Lost a Goldfish in my 100 gallon tank. It was close to 8 years old. It was a feeder that was an inch long when I got it. This one was close to six inches. The feeders just don't have much in the way of longevity, but it had a better life than ending up in some turtle's mouth or some other quick ending. The others in the tank are active and seem to be doing well. Am looking at redoing the 75 gallon. The water is hazy and I just don't like the way it looks. We'll see what can be done.

Thursday supplemental post. There are times when old pieces of wood you find around lake and rivers areas aren't suitable for aquarium use. Cottonwood trees can be good in your fish tank, but the piece needs to be totally dry. There are others, but you really need to research them. Rotting wood can cause water chemistry problems, so you must remove and replace the tank water often. A 50 percent water change performed every few days is best. Missing one change can create water problems and this spells problems for your fish. I would also encourage you to use smaller pieces of driftwood and if you have the funds, to use wood made for use in a fish tank.

Friday morning. Whoa! Had a busy day of water changes yesterday, but we got everything done. Managed to get some exercise too. So, we're going to work on the 75 gallon today. Took two large pieces of driftwood out of it yesterday. The wood may have been causing a water chemistry problem. I've never had a problem with driftwood I pick up from the local lake, pond and river areas here. But, this could be an exception. I'm going to make some more changes in this tank to see if I can clear up the tank water. Anyway, this tank is going to look a lot different.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back