10 Rules For Healthy Fishkeeping.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hello there,could do with some advice from you, i have a 6x2x2, i would love to have four dicus, i have read that these fish need a water change each week if not more ,i thought with the size of my tank i would get away with this for a bit longer do you think i could or do you have any suggestions for fish that are calm and of that size ,many thanks from rosswell

I would also add make sure all the fish you want to keep will all live happily together, plus get fish the will occupy the top, middle and bottom of the tank, fish such as corys, catfish, shrimps will help clean your tank. di

Hi, new to all this.....is it dangerous to the fish and plants if the aquarium lights are not turned off?

cheers!

hi jonny boy, when you say "switch them off", how long for?

and curiosity, bit harsh wasnt it? whats wrong with adding to threads? doesnt it save spamming the board again? its a valid question, in a good thread imo....

Hi, new to all this.....is it dangerous to the fish and plants if the aquarium lights are not turned off?

cheers!

hi jonny boy, when you say "switch them off", how long for?

and curiosity, bit harsh wasnt it? whats wrong with adding to threads? doesnt it save spamming the board again? its a valid question, in a good thread imo....

Hi, I'm currently turning off the lights at approximately 10pm then back on at approximately 7am. From 6pm to 10pm I change the lighting from white light to the bluey one (it's a fishpod with 2 low-energy bulbs - one blue (funnily enough) and one white!

Curiosity - fine - I'll use a new thread in future but I did it for the reason that Haych said (spamming). It is an old thread so wasn't cutting in and it didn't warrant a whole thread to itself and I took the time to find a topic close to the question I wanted to ask. Besides, why take the time to post what you said then not offer any advice?

id like to add something =)

make sure when doing water changes the water is the same temperature as the water in the tank

i like to use cold water and heat it up a bit with a heater ofcourse

warm water usually leaves a cloud of some sort ..not sure but ive heard more pollutants come out of the hot water pipes

make sure when doing water changes the water is the same temperature as the water in the tank

warm water usually leaves a cloud of some sort ..not sure but ive heard more pollutants come out of the hot water pipes

with a water changes of up to 20% heating isn't really necessary.

One more good idea is to read as many posts as you can. If in doubt - ask!

There are some very knowledgeable and helpful folk on here. They've saved me and my fish a few times. :good:

with a water changes of up to 20% heating isn't really necessary.

are you a fish how do you know that?

i get what your saying temperature wise

Because 20% is a fifth of the tank, a cold water change of that size will bring he temperature down a few degrees, which is okay, becaus In the wild when it rains, the water temperature decreases, so you're effectivly stimulating rain, which is good for most species because it induces spawning.

So how many fish would I be able to keep if I have a tank of perimeter 30cm x 60cm, which gives a surface area of 1800cmsq.? Thanks

I would also add make sure all the fish you want to keep will all live happily together, plus get fish the will occupy the top, middle and bottom of the tank, fish such as corys, catfish, shrimps will help clean your tank. di

I made sure that I got the three layers like you suggested and even a dwarf african frog. I love watching him and he has survived fine for several months. My concern is that he and my little catfish are not getting enough to eat. It seems that my mollys are hogging all the food. They will go to the bottom and eat my sinking pellets too. Any suggestions on making sure they get their fair share or am I worrying for nothing?

Fish keeping is more popular today than it ever was before. At present, while it still enjoys its indoor value as an absorbing pastime or just a personal hobby, it has developed beyond a long period of infancy into an organised industry which supports education, Research and trade.

No success can be achieved in Aquarium keeping unless the aquarium is well planned and properly stocked. This requires a certain degree of Scientific approach with regard to setting of the aquarium, selection of Fishes and Plants and their maintenance.

source : Printsasia.com/book/Aquarium-Fish-Keeping

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back