10 gallon tank rebuild

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I know all tanks are a sort of ecosystem but I would like to push it even more since the bioload in my 10 gallon is small. The tank will be inspired from "the betta paradise" by the cinescaper on youtube and by MD fish tank "ecosystem tank" also on youtube. My goal is basically to create a black water tank with plants that grow over water and do only a 10% water each month or something like that (I will still have my filter). I will need some plants that grow pretty fast even in lower light that can grow over water if possible. I think Bacopa moneiri would be a good options but I would need more ideas. I will start this weekend by buying play sand :)

Hi, I know all tanks are a sort of ecosystem but I would like to push it even more since the bioload in my 10 gallon is small. The tank will be inspired from "the betta paradise" by the cinescaper on youtube and by MD fish tank "ecosystem tank" also on youtube. My goal is basically to create a black water tank with plants that grow over water and do only a 10% water each month or something like that (I will still have my filter). I will need some plants that grow pretty fast even in lower light that can grow over water if possible. I think Bacopa moneiri would be a good options but I would need more ideas. I will start this weekend by buying play sand :)
Id suggest reading diane Walstad.
She ran filterless tanks with no water changes.just plants as filters
Though in the end she concluded it wasnt sustainable over long periods.
But it may give you some ideas, she also used dirt for substrate capped with gravel.

Anacharis will grow great. It also has a good, “Overgrown” look. I’ll post a picture of my 10g betta tank today, to give you some ideas on how it will look. I like the idea of this project. :fish:

But it may give you some ideas, she also used dirt for substrate capped with gravel.
I have watched many videos about this but I don't think it is for me. I can't resist to move things after like 2-3 months so it would disturb the substrate and then boom a tank full of dirt

I have watched many videos about this but I don't think it is for me. I can't resist to move things after like 2-3 months so it would disturb the substrate and then boom a tank full of dirt
I concur. Dirted tanks aren’t very sustainable.

You can just use play sand and root tabs. (Or liquid fertilizers)

Anacharis will grow great. It also has a good, “Overgrown” look. I’ll post a picture of my 10g betta tank today, to give you some ideas on how it will look. I like the idea of this project. :fish:
ok good thank you! I got a 1 inch peice of ancharis that got in a bag when I got my corys so I hope it will grow

Many have tried and many have failed with this method. I don’t suggest dirt under the substrate, as it can eventually leak. Also, if you want to remove/move plants, dirt will go everywhere.

ok good thank you! I got a 1 inch peice of ancharis that got in a bag when I got my corys so I hope it will grow
It will eventually grow. It will grow much faster with liquid fertilizers though.

I suggest getting more at your LFS. This will make the tank look even more full.

lol i know what you mean. I wasnt suggesting dirting your tank just thought some of her methods using plants to filter tank to avoid water changes as Walstad didnt do water changes.

lol i know what you mean. I wasnt suggesting dirting your tank just thought some of her methods using plants to filter tank to avoid water changes as Walstad didnt do water changes.
I still suggest a small filter in the tank. (Either a sponge filter or a really small internal filter)

Unless there are a lot of plants, there is no way they will be able to keep up with it. (Unless there is no fish whatsoever)

As soon as the OP adds livestock, she will need to get a filter.

Many have tried and many have failed with this method. I don’t suggest dirt under the substrate, as it can eventually leak. Also, if you want to remove/move plants, dirt will go everywhere.
Again im not suggesting dirting her tank, i suggested she read diane walstad to determine how to sustain a tank using plants without water changes.
Having said that ive dirted a tank it worked great the plants did well and while it can leach into water nutrients from root tabs can also leach into water. Like i said the biggest down fall to a dirted tank is one has to change out the substrate after a year or two.

I still suggest a small filter in the tank. (Either a sponge filter or a really small internal filter)

Unless there are a lot of plants, there is no way they will be able to keep up with it. (Unless there is no fish whatsoever)

I have a small hang on the back filter so there is no problem. It is the tank of my paradise fish (I don't think I mentionned) so it's all cycled

Diane walstad didnt do water changes she just let the plants act as the filter and her tanks were heavily planted, its a good theory and one she proved is possible but at the end she concluded it wasnt sustainable over long periods of time because as ive stated the soils nutrients run out.

Diane walstad didnt do water changes she just let the plants act as the filter and her tanks were heavily planted, its a good theory and one she proved is possible but at the end she concluded it wasnt sustainable over long periods of time because as ive stated the soils nutrients run out.
Yes, but she must have a heavily planted tank. The OP is planning on adding plants. The plants need time to grow.

It is a good theory, but the tank must be heavily planted first.

Most reactions

Back