10 Gallon Stocking?

starlitsunrise

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi! 

Ok, I have made quite a few topic/post things since I joined so if I am making to many please someone tell me and I'll slow it down haha. 

Anyways, so if anyone has seen my other posts you'll know I have been thinking about getting a 10-20 gallon tank, but then I read the the fish I wanted (White Cloud Mountain Minnows might eat the shrimp I wanted), so then I started thinking about just a 5 gallon shrimp tank. I was just looking for my 5 gallon and it seems to be missing, I think it might be in the garage but that probably means I'll never see it again. So now I'm back to square one. 

But, I literally just got off the phone with my friend and she said I could have her old 10 gallon tank (provided she can find it) for $10, it's just the tank no hood or anything because she had a reptile in it but still that seems like a good deal to me. I would be cycling the tank prior to getting any inhabitants, would get a filter, heater (if necessary) and I would have live plants. 

So, my questions are:
- if I wanted to get some cherry shrimp, how many should I put in?
- What are some other fish that could live in the 10 gallon with them (that definetly would not try to eat them or any fry they may have)?
-Specifically would a couple pygmy cory catfish be ok?
-What type of plants would be good for this tank and someone who has never had a planted tank before.
-Lastly any other suggestions would be appreciated
smile.png

If you read all of that, thank you!
smile.png
I probably rambled on a bit haha. 

Hello, sounds good.

I have a 10 gallon tank that has shrimps and snails and 6 black bar endlers, as well as a few live plants.

Anyway as for your questions.

I'd start off with maybe 6 or 8 max, they do breed fairly prolifically and would recommend you add new cheery shrimps every 6 months or so if you want to keep good colours of shrimps and helps stop interbreeding.

Any fish that are small should be good with shrimps, as stated above I keep endlers with my shrimps, guppies should be fine also, a little research and ask on this forum about specific species that you like the look of would help determine whats suitable for your tank and shrimps.

Pygmy cories will be fine with shrimps, by the way most cories are best in grouse of 6+. And cores prefer a sand substrate rather than gravel.

Lots of good plants for beginners with low lighted tanks, java fern, anubias, elodea, java moss, moss balls are all good to start off with.

I would suggest you definitely put in a heater, a filter and some lights for your tank.

And cycling the tank before adding any fish or shrimps would be the best thing to do, you can add plants during or before cycling the tank though.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

And you'll need a source of ammonia for the cycling process, this might help you find a source for ammonia

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/427161-ammonia-and-bacteria-starter-sources/

And lastly, i'd also recommend you get a water test kit, API Freshwater Master Test Kit is fairly decent and good value for money, do not get the paper strip dip kits as these can be inaccurate. 

Hope that helps a little bit. 
smile.png

Ch4rlie said:
Hello, sounds good.

I have a 10 gallon tank that has shrimps and snails and 6 black bar endlers, as well as a few live plants.

Anyway as for your questions.

I'd start off with maybe 6 or 8 max, they do breed fairly prolifically and would recommend you add new cheery shrimps every 6 months or so if you want to keep good colours of shrimps and helps stop interbreeding.

Any fish that are small should be good with shrimps, as stated above I keep endlers with my shrimps, guppies should be fine also, a little research and ask on this forum about specific species that you like the look of would help determine whats suitable for your tank and shrimps.

Pygmy cories will be fine with shrimps, by the way most cories are best in grouse of 6+. And cores prefer a sand substrate rather than gravel.

Lots of good plants for beginners with low lighted tanks, java fern, anubias, elodea, java moss, moss balls are all good to start off with.

I would suggest you definitely put in a heater, a filter and some lights for your tank.

And cycling the tank before adding any fish or shrimps would be the best thing to do, you can add plants during or before cycling the tank though.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

And you'll need a source of ammonia for the cycling process, this might help you find a source for ammonia

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/427161-ammonia-and-bacteria-starter-sources/

And lastly, i'd also recommend you get a water test kit, API Freshwater Master Test Kit is fairly decent and good value for money, do not get the paper strip dip kits as these can be inaccurate. 

Hope that helps a little bit. 
smile.png
Yes, this helps :) Thank you! I just looked up the endlers and they are beautiful! 

Mosquito rasbora are also quite lovely, if you decide to look for something other than endlers. :)

Have a look at the nano section, too. There's a nice list of fish suitable for small tanks. Many of them are community fish. I've kept bettas, guppies, puffers, and shrimps and snails in ten gallons. But there are tons of options. Pygmy corydoras are quite funny. They seem to forget that they are supposed to be bottom-dwellers. You could have six of them and a small school or shoal of other tiny fish.

Ninjouzata said:
Mosquito rasbora are also quite lovely, if you decide to look for something other than endlers.
smile.png
They are pretty! And they look so teeny tiny :)

attibones said:
Have a look at the nano section, too. There's a nice list of fish suitable for small tanks. Many of them are community fish. I've kept bettas, guppies, puffers, and shrimps and snails in ten gallons. But there are tons of options. Pygmy corydoras are quite funny. They seem to forget that they are supposed to be bottom-dwellers. You could have six of them and a small school or shoal of other tiny fish.
*faceplam* I didn't even think of looking there haha, thanks! When you say I could have 6 corys and some other small fish would that be on top of the shrimp or instead of the shrimp? 

You could have some small shrimp in there, I think. They have a minimal bioload.

Does anyone see an issue if I were to have 4-6 pygmy corys, 6 cherry shrimp and 6 endlers? I would try to get all males or all females of each species to prevent breeding, but would this be over stocked? Thanks! :)

If you do six of each, you'll be fine. Just stay on top of your water changes. With the endlers, be sure they are all males (or all females, but males are prettier). You don't have to worry too much about the cory cats. Their eggs are frequently eaten.

attibones said:
If you do six of each, you'll be fine. Just stay on top of your water changes. With the endlers, be sure they are all males (or all females, but males are prettier). You don't have to worry too much about the cory cats. Their eggs are frequently eaten.
Awesome! Thank you
smile.png
I just hope either big als or pet smart sells all of them. After I cycle my tank should I put them all in at once or should I put them in by individual species? If so does the order matter?

The order doesn't really matter. Just wait for the tank to mature a few weeks with the fish in it before you add the shrimps. They'll benefit from the older substrate and all that extra tasty bacteria and gunk which will be living in your tank.

attibones said:
The order doesn't really matter. Just wait for the tank to mature a few weeks with the fish in it before you add the shrimps. They'll benefit from the older substrate and all that extra tasty bacteria and gunk which will be living in your tank.
Thank you again :) Also, I was just looking at your betta tank journal, your girls are beautiful!

Most reactions

Back