10 Gallon Overstocked

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

sadguppy said:
Your LFS should be able to order any kind of fish if you ask them.

Otos don't spend much time on the substrate, preferring to forage on plant leaves and larger rocks. I have one in my 20g and the only time he spends on the substrate (sand) is when he's resting, and that's only occasionally.
That's true, I never really asked them to order them, I just kind of casually asked if there would be any in the next shipment. I'll see what they can do, I'd really like some for my 30g..
They get too big and boisterous for a 30gallon tank to be honest, I have six in a 63 gallon and they whiz around all over the place, and they're not even fully grown yet!
Edit: ignore me! Thought you were talking about loaches. Otos on the other hand will be fine!

No, you were right, I was still talking about loaches. I realize that zebra loaches, which I intended on getting, only grow to 4". However, I couldn't really find much as far as tank size, schools, etc. Now that I know that they need schools of at least 6, I'll definetly be staying away until I have a 55 gallon...oh well, anybody else have loaches that can stay permanently in a 30 gallon? I know people have kept kuhli loaches in 30 gallons, but you never see them...

I have dwarf chain loach in my 55gallon, they are smaller and may work although they are very, very active!

sadguppy said:
I have dwarf chain loach in my 55gallon, they are smaller and may work although they are very, very active!

Those are really neat! Also it's nice that they only grow 2.5" instead of the 4-6". I'm just worried though, are they a very sensitive fish as far as water quality? The lowest ph I can have is 7.0 and the water has to be somewhat hard. I'm moving my dalmation Molly into the 30 and Id feel too bad giving him away..

Mine are fine in my hard Kentish water, ph 7.6. Cute little critters.

sadguppy said:
 Stocking 'rules' are merely a guide and you can get away with a lot if you stock cleverly and keep up regular maintenance.

i agree....as long as the fish are small in size, stocking depends mostly on how well you maintain the tank,

i have a 20 gallon community type tank at my wifes work, there is probably 35-40 fish in it, i have lost count, most people would consider this overstocked, but i dont, they are all happy and healthy because i maintain the tank very well

Most reactions

Back