10 Gallon Ideas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Lolipop0912

Reaction score
So, Hello! This is my first post here and Iā€™m super excited.
Just a little background...
Iā€™ve been keeping fish properly for five years and have done both fresh and saltwater tanks.
Now, I have a new ten gallon tank thatā€™s begging for some fish...
I kind of like the idea of dividing the tank into two five gallon sections. One section will be divided twice (2 Bettas, 2.5 gallons each) and the other side Iā€™m looking for ideas on.
However, Iā€™m looking for general stocking ideas as well...
As in, Iā€™m also looking at doing a non divided tank or even a cold axolotl tank...
So, any ideas are needed and welcome.
Thanks for bearing with me through the long post...

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Axolotls need tanks that are 3ft long or more so a 10 gallon is probably a bit small for adult axos. It would be fine for young axos but they would need a bigger home as they grow.

You could look at small rainbowfish, in particular Pseudomugils or Iriatherina werneri for a 10 gallon tank. There is lots of info at the following link about rainbowfishes.
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

Male Bettas should not be housed next to each long term because they stress and fight through the glass. If you want 2 male Bettas, then have two separate tanks next to each other and keep a piece of dark cardboard between the two tanks so the fish can't see each other. Then a couple of times a week you can remove the card and they will see each other and show off in an attempt to drive the other away. After 15-30 minutes you can put the cardboard back between the tanks and each male will strut around because it drove the intruder away.

Thank you for the reply.
I was thinking about using a non see through divided made out mesh. Do you think that this could work?
Also, any ideas for a five gallon fish? Iā€™ve looked at apistos and a few others but donā€™t know what would look amazing. Thanks for the flaring tips. I have two one gallon bowls that used to House bettas till I learned the error of my way. Now, one is empty and the other has the cutest dwarf seahorses ever. ( When I got a betta, I never thought seahorses would be next.)

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.
I was thinking about using a non see through divided made out mesh. Do you think that this could work?
Also, any ideas for a five gallon fish? Iā€™ve looked at apistos and a few others but donā€™t know what would look amazing. Thanks for the flaring tips. I have two one gallon bowls that used to House bettas till I learned the error of my way. Now, one is empty and the other has the cutest dwarf seahorses ever. ( When I got a betta, I never thought seahorses would be next.)

Fish release pheromones and allomones, so not being able to "see" each other is not the only issue; they should not be in the same water volume. Colin's idea on separate tanks with a block between is best.

Before we suggest fish, we need to know your water parameters for the source water, presumably tap water. GH (general or total hardness) and pH especially. These you may be able to get from the water authority, check if they have a website. Many fish suited to very small tanks will bee wild caught and require specific water parameters. A 5 gallon is insufficient space for apistos, they need at least a 20g and perhaps larger depending upon species and other fish.

Fish release pheromones and allomones, so not being able to "see" each other is not the only issue; they should not be in the same water volume. Colin's idea on separate tanks with a block between is best.

Before we suggest fish, we need to know your water parameters for the source water, presumably tap water. GH (general or total hardness) and pH especially. These you may be able to get from the water authority, check if they have a website. Many fish suited to very small tanks will bee wild caught and require specific water parameters. A 5 gallon is insufficient space for apistos, they need at least a 20g and perhaps larger depending upon species and other fish.
My PH is normally 7.4ish and my GH is
281 PPM
Thanks for the information on apistos. It seems that I was misled with a few websites. In that case, Iā€™ll just scratch the second betta and give the first one 5 gallons. The second will probably end up in my community (if I ever get a second one.) Or, K can divide it 7.5, 2.5

My PH is normally 7.4ish and my GH is
281 PPM
Thanks for the information on apistos. It seems that I was misled with a few websites. In that case, Iā€™ll just scratch the second betta and give the first one 5 gallons. The second will probably end up in my community (if I ever get a second one.) Or, K can divide it 7.5, 2.5

You have hard water so finding small species is not going to be easy. Endler Livebearers come to mind, or guppies (male only to avoid fry). I might think of others in time, but many of the suitable soft-water species like the dwarf rasbora will not work here.

Male Betta are not community fish; they should be on their own. And before someone says it, yes, some people think this works, but that is the exception and even if it seems to initially, it can change overnight.

You have hard water so finding small species is not going to be easy. Endler Livebearers come to mind, or guppies (male only to avoid fry). I might think of others in time, but many of the suitable soft-water species like the dwarf rasbora will not work here.

Male Betta are not community fish; they should be on their own. And before someone says it, yes, some people think this works, but that is the exception and even if it seems to initially, it can change overnight.
I should add, I was thinking a placent female for the community. Both of my male bettas had 0 interest in the community life.
However, my LFS has the same water and QTā€™s. Iā€™ve gotten lots of soft water fish from them and they seem to thrive in my other tanks. For example, I have had the same group of neon tetras for 5 years now. So, do you think softer water fish wonā€™t work? I know the LFS says that the fish will adjust, but Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s also your opinion.

However, my LFS has the same water and QTā€™s. Iā€™ve gotten lots of soft water fish from them and they seem to thrive in my other tanks. For example, I have had the same group of neon tetras for 5 years now. So, do you think softer water fish wonā€™t work? I know the LFS says that the fish will adjust, but Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s also your opinion.

This takes some explanation. First, while neon tetra is a soft water species, it has been commercially bred for decades. It is not "small" in the sense of suitable fish for a five gallon. The small species, sometimes called nano species, will inevitably be wild caught fish, and that makes quite a difference. For one thing, wild caught fish do not adjust to parameters that are significantly different, and for another, the smaller the fish the less adaptability there is because of its metabolism and physiology. The smaller a species, the higher the metabolic rate of its normal day-to-day functions to live, and this takes valuable energy which makes the species even more demanding when it comes to external factors.

Neon tetra are riddled with genetic problems these days, due to the inbreeding for decades. And while they seem to "manage" in harder water, generally they cannot do much more, and this means a weakened fish and generally shorter than normal lifespan. If you still have the same neons five or six years from now, I would be surprised. Cardinal tetras have been documented in studies respecting lifespan, health and hardness of the water. The harder the water, the shorter the lifespan; and when dissected after death, calcium blockage of the kidneys (primarily) were found to be the reason. These were wild caught fish; freshwater fish species that have evolved over thousands of years do not suddenly change their physiology. Some seem better able to further evolve over time, some less able. But the fact that neon tetras are regularly kept in harder water does not mean they are as healthy as they should be. But wild-caught nano species have no such adaptability, and that is primarily the sort of fish you will be looking for to keep in a 5 gallon aquarium.

This takes some explanation. First, while neon tetra is a soft water species, it has been commercially bred for decades. It is not "small" in the sense of suitable fish for a five gallon. The small species, sometimes called nano species, will inevitably be wild caught fish, and that makes quite a difference. For one thing, wild caught fish do not adjust to parameters that are significantly different, and for another, the smaller the fish the less adaptability there is because of its metabolism and physiology.

Neon tetra are riddled with genetic problems these days, due to the inbreeding for decades. And while they seem to "manage" in harder water, generally they cannot do much more, and this means a weakened fish and generally shorter than normal lifespan. If you still have the same neons five or six years from now, I would be surprised. Cardinal tetras have been documented in studies respecting lifespan, health and hardness of the water. The harder the water, the shorter the lifespan; and when dissected after death, calcium blockage of the kidneys (primarily) were found to be the reason. These were wild caught fish; freshwater fish species that have evolved over thousands of years do not suddenly change their physiology. Some seem better able to further evolve over time, some less able. But the fact that neon tetras are regularly kept in harder water does not mean they are as healthy as they should be. But wild-caught nano species have no such adaptability, and that is primarily the sort of fish you will be looking for to keep in a 5 gallon aquarium.
Thanks. Do you have any thoughts about non wild pea puffers?

I think this may be what I end up doing. A pea puffer tank o one side, and a Betta tank on the other. Thanks for the help.

Why do you feel compelled to split the tank? 10G is a small tank. Either have a single Betta or some Pea Puffers along with plenty of plants. You need to be aware that many pea puffers will only eat live food (not frozen or freeze dried). If this is an issue for you then you should not consider them.

I have no idea why I feel compelled to split the tank. Iā€™m deffinately fine with freeding live food. (As I glare at my seahorses.) And Iā€™m fine with feeding frozen foods. (As I glare at my community tank) I have to Anyhow.

Iā€™m deffinately fine with freeding live food.

You are. thats great and you have hard water. How about Bumblebee Gobys and Endlers?

Get a trio of Endlers 1 male 2 female and about 6 to 10 BBGs. With a breeding trio of Endlers your BBGs will never go hungry.

BBGs are interesting little fish, so are endlers.

Check out my thread on BBGs http://www.fishforums.net/threads/bumblebee-goby.447851/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back