10 gallon for pea puffers?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishtime!

Reaction score
Hello! I'm about to set up a new planted tank, with the intention of getting ~ 4-5 pea puffers for it. I wanted to check if a 10 gallon is ok, the worker at my LFS said that would be plenty of room, but I just wanted to see if anybody on here has a differing opinion on that.

Thanks!

Hi it depends on what you mean by 10 gallons - 10 gallons seems to vary brand to brand and sometimes we get confused by US and UK gallons so what tank are you looking at?

For Dwarf Puffers the minimum should be considered as 60 litres but bigger is always better and aim for 10 litres per puffer, so in a 60 litre have 6, 80 litres have 8. They are a shoaling fish so do best in groups :)

Wills

Hi it depends on what you mean by 10 gallons - 10 gallons seems to vary brand to brand and sometimes we get confused by US and UK gallons so what tank are you looking at?

For Dwarf Puffers the minimum should be considered as 60 litres but bigger is always better and aim for 10 litres per puffer, so in a 60 litre have 6, 80 litres have 8. They are a shoaling fish so do best in groups :)

Wills
Ok great, thanks so much! Yes a 10 gallon is only about 35 L, so I'll look around for a 20 gallon! ( ~ 75). And one more thing -

I'm planning on cycling my tank with plants for as long as it takes to get the nitrate/ammonia levels to stabilize, and not having an over-the-back filter. I was wondering if there are extra precautions I should take, like having some fluval biomax in there to help with good bacteria growth?

Ok great, thanks so much! Yes a 10 gallon is only about 35 L, so I'll look around for a 20 gallon! ( ~ 75). And one more thing -

I'm planning on cycling my tank with plants for as long as it takes to get the nitrate/ammonia levels to stabilize, and not having an over-the-back filter. I was wondering if there are extra precautions I should take, like having some fluval biomax in there to help with good bacteria growth?
You’ll need a filter on the tank with puffers they are messy fish. Plants will definitely be a benefit but not enough as the only filter.

Plant only tanks are better for very low numbers of small rasboras or tiny nano fish or ideally shrimp

You’ll need a filter on the tank with puffers they are messy fish. Plants will definitely be a benefit but not enough as the only filter.

Plant only tanks are better for very low numbers of small rasboras or tiny nano fish or ideally shrimp
ok great, thanks so much for your help!

Most reactions

trending

Back