10 Gallon Fish Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Valiant

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon fish tank and I'm trying to fully stock it and so far i have 1 Bristlenose pleco and 4 albino cory catfish.
Is it fully stocked already or should i add a couple more corydoras.

What are the dimensions of your tank? A 10 US Gallon is only 8 Imperial gallons which is 36 litres. 

Yeah that is fully stocked. but honestly I would add some top swimmers.... like guppies, platies, etc... they're waste is something that they eat. Lol.

What kind of liters are we talking here? The 10g bracket is pretty broad.... though it is a set method of measurements - you get tanks called 10 gallons that range from 33 to 64 litres so literally double the size in some cases.

Either way I think that the tank is too small for a bristlenose plec...

Wills

Wills said:
What kind of liters are we talking here? The 10g bracket is pretty broad.... though it is a set method of measurements - you get tanks called 10 gallons that range from 33 to 64 litres so literally double the size in some cases.

Either way I think that the tank is too small for a bristlenose plec...

Wills

This is why I was asking and this is what I was thinking...

It's not compulsory to "fully stock" an aquarium, Bristlenose will typically and easily grow to around 6" long

like everyone says it about the tank size albino cories arent the best fish for 10 gallon tanks cause they really need groups of 6 but you got 4 and they grow to 2 to 3 inches  which in the adult size to gallon THEORY overstocked. also cories in general need lots of swimming sapce on the bottom so  that must be accounted for also.

Yup, IMHO the cories need a 15 gallon + ( US ) and the BN needs about 25ish+ . :) So yes, it is overstocked.

I wouldn't have said 25 gallons for the BN, more like 18-20 as long as it's 30inch(76 cm) long. The general *rule for Pleco's is that the tank should be a minimum of 3x the length of the adult pleco size and 2x the width. So if I have a Rubber Lipped(which I do) I'd need at least a 12x8inch(45x25cm) bare minimum tank to keep it happy as they grow to 4"(10cm) max full length. I do, however, have mine in a 30x12x15inch(76x30x38cm) tank so it's plenty big enough. That is Length x Width x Height
smile.png

However, as you can see - I don't go by that. I go more by how much waste a pleco produces and how active they are. As BN's are active, I wouldn't personally keep one in less than a 30in(76cm) long tank. If it's the same dimensions as mine it's 19 imperial gallons or 87 litres
smile.png

*Do not follow this completely. It only works for certain species and only as a guideline!!

I'd say sell the BN and get a small shoal of ember tetras (probably 6) or other small (less than inch long) community fish..  I think you'd be okay there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ember_tetra

OR

You could get sparkling (pygmy) gouramis in a 10g.  Maybe 1 male and 2 female.  I think maybe 1 male and 3 females are better but maybe that's overstocked.  Anyone with sparkling gourami experience want to chime in?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparkling_gourami

Either way, you'd have some colorful top swimmers. :)  A friend of mine had sparkling gouramis before in a 10g - don't remember how many tho.  They were really cool.

Elrohirthehasty said:
I'd say sell the BN and get a small shoal of ember tetras (probably 6) or other small (less than inch long) community fish..  I think you'd be okay there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ember_tetra

OR

You could get sparkling (pygmy) gouramis in a 10g.  Maybe 1 male and 2 female.  I think maybe 1 male and 3 females are better but maybe that's overstocked.  Anyone with sparkling gourami experience want to chime in?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparkling_gourami

Either way, you'd have some colorful top swimmers.
smile.png
 A friend of mine had sparkling gouramis before in a 10g - don't remember how many tho.  They were really cool.

I'd also say sell the BN and the cory's and restart again with the stocking. Starting with, as said above, Ember Tetra's or maybe Galaxy Rasboras(really colourful and in a 10 gallon you could have a decent shoal) and then some Sparkling Gourami's for the bottom. Telling males from females in Sparkling Gourami's is almost impossible. I know because I own them
laugh.png
I'd say you can fit a nice group of 6 at least in a 10 gallon with the Galaxies/Embers but only if you don't get any cory's. 
So how about this
smile.png

6-8x Galaxy Rasboras
6x Pygmy Corydoras - Hastatus, Habrosus OR Pygmaeus

Or how about this?

8-10x Ember Tetra's
8x Pygmy Corydoras - Hastatus, Habrosus OR Pygmaeus

I've put more Embers and Corys in the second stocking because Embers are slightly smaller than Galaxies
smile.png

If I were to to start over where would I be able to purchase Hasbrosus corys?, because I don't have them at my local petstores.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back