10 gal. Stocking?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

But don’t sponge filters really bubble?

You need surface disturbance, so this is a good thing. But having said that, I may not understand what you yourself mean by "bubble."

How about guppies? Would they work in a 10 gal?

Provided your water is moderately hard (the GH) and the pH is basic (above 7.0), yes, but only a very few.

So you said you has 9 Pygmy Corys in a 10 gal.!! I thought you said these where way to small!

Basic cories are larger than the "dwarf" species like Corydoras pygmaeus, C. habrosus and C. hastatus. A group of 9-12 of asny one of these three species would be fine in a 10g. But not 10 Bronze cories which are larger.

Look at this website!! This guy has over 20 years of freshwater fishkeeping experience, and he says that all the fish I mentioned would do well in a 10 gal. Tank!! https://www.tropicalfishcareguides.com/aquarium-fish/stocking-a-10-gallon-tank/

Lots to comment here. I have no idea what this individual's knowledge level may be; keeping fish for 20 years should give one some experience, but it does not mean one is doing it correctly or considering what is best for the fish. One thing I can tell you from reading his site...he does not have an accurate understanding of freshwater fish physiology and habitats.

The fact that "x" number of tetras can survive in a 10g tank does not mean they are thriving, nor that they should be there to begin with. Each species of freshwater fish has evolved over thousands of years to function at its optimum in a very specific environment. Environment includes water parameters, the habitat features (substrate, wood, rock, plants, light, water flow, other species), and numbers (for a shoaling species). The fish "expects" these things to be a certain way, and as soon as they differ the fish will likely experience stress. It can be frustration, fear, nervousness, or whatever. Stress weakens the fish several ways, including deterioration of the immune system (which is why fish under stress come down with disease--95% of all fish disease is caused by stress in the presence of the pathogen, but it is stress that prevents the fish from fighting it off), increased aggression (sometimes the opposite), a higher metabolic rate which then further weakens the fish, etc.

Read the green and blue citations in my signature block; these are wisdom from very knowledgeable aquarists. It takes a lot of research to understand what a species requires, but then we must provide as close a replica as we can if we want healthy fish. Anything less is cruel to the fish, and we are in the wrong hobby if that is all we aim for.

How about pearl danios? :)

This fish grows to 2.25 inches (and being shoaling needs a group obviously) and thus requires at minimum a 24-inch tank, but longer would be better.

Most danios, thinking here of the common ones normally seen, are active swimmers so length is important.

I know, the tank I will get is 25 in long. It is a little over 10 gal. I don’t know the exact amount. :)

I know, the tank I will get is 25 in long. It is a little over 10 gal. I don’t know the exact amount. :)

You need to pin this down too before you can accurately decide on any fish. A 24-inch tank that is 12 inches wide will be either a 15 gallon or a 20 gallon depending upon height. There may be other odd sizes with the same base dimensions. Volume as well as dimensions are equally important.

And you have still not determined the GH and pH of your source (tap) water, at least this has not been posted, and we cannot be suggesting suitable fish until we know this too.

My tank will be perfectly cycled before I add any fish. I use Tetra water conditioner, and I will get some quick start liquid.

Besides, danios are very hardy, and are usually used to start cycling the tank anyway.

What I meant by “the sponge filter bubbles” I meant this. They have a ton of anoying bubbles, and it looks bad in a good aquascape. Is there any way to make it not bubble? :)
09A2802B-D27A-4CB4-A5BD-D508382431E8.jpeg

My tank will be perfectly cycled before I add any fish. I use Tetra water conditioner, and I will get some quick start liquid.

Besides, danios are very hardy, and are usually used to start cycling the tank anyway.

What I meant by “the sponge filter bubbles” I meant this. They have a ton of anoying bubbles, and it looks bad in a good aquascape. Is there any way to make it not bubble? :)View attachment 91431

You are still confusing water parameters (GH, pH) with water conditions related to cycling (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate). They are two very different issues. The parameters of your source (tap) water will not change much if at all in the aquarium (it would take too long to explain how they can, leave that for now), so you must know the GH (general hardness) and pH of your tap water before you can decide on any fish.

Second, you do not subject any fish to cycling conditions because no fish is "hardy" enough to withstand this. Even if they live through it, internal damage has still been done. And it is cruel to the fish.

Thanks, but what about my question on the sponge filter?

Any filter will cause bubbles. This is simply to create surface agitation so that your fish can breathe. Also, you can bring a sample of your water to a petco or petsmart and they will test the PH for you. The PH and GH levels of your water is important if you want to decide what fish are going to go into the tank. We will also have to know the exact size of your tank to help you in your stocking decision.

Ok, I’ll have to wait until I get it. Sometimes in June, because that is when the next PetCo $ per gal. Sale is. :)

Ok, I’ll have to wait until I get it. Sometimes in June, because that is when the next PetCo $ per gal. Sale is. :)

You should have some idea of the fish species you want to keep before you decide on the tank. For example, if your intention is to keep Zebra Danios (which were mentioned earlier in this or another thread) they need at minimum a 30-inch length tank; purchasing a 24-inch tank will mean you cannot keep this fish species. So have an idea on what you want, then see if you can get the appropriate-sized tank.

And you must find out the GH and pH of your tap water before you can even consider which fish species. This data should be available on your municipal water authority's website. There is no point in considering fish or a tank without first knowing this.

Most reactions

trending

Back