10 cardinal tetras here today

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I would love to be able to buy from Wet Spot on the northwest coast of the US. They have a good rep and they also stock the fish I like. I think what you have to work around is the transhippers. There are companies that sell the exact same quality of fish as you would get in a chain store, because they sell the same fish. They usually try to undercut the stores by a few cents.

If you are going to buy farmed fish, I think your major effort should go into learning to spot the basic diseases and parasites, and going to stores to buy. Your eyes can save you a lot of trouble.

I get my fish airport to airport, or when I drive to a place with good sellers. My local stores buy Singapore fish that are very shaky. They increasingly sell mutations, and I don't see that trend ending as people buy them. The store owners have to make a living for themselves. So I buy from people I know, at an extra cost. The fish do well.

If I were going into the cold, in the US,I would look for sellers who also stocked fish I don't want. If they have some weird natural species on offer at higher looking prices, they are probably skilled, and probably have more demanding customers. If all they offer are what the chain stores offer, they're probably operating out of a back room in a store you would run away from.

I also buy from Discus Madness, I donā€™t have any discus yet, I have bought angels, and several tetras from them before

but Danā€™s is the best

Last edited:

. My local stores buy Singapore fish that are very shaky. They increasingly sell mutations, and I don't see that trend ending as people buy them. The store owners have to make a living for themselves. So I buy from people I know, at an extra cost. The fish do well.
I get regular mailings from "Large Albert" bragging about new Singapore shipments, thanks for confirming suspicions.

Geography does seem to be our enemy

Rummy Noseā€™s are dancing again this morning, so I can assume the tank is good, but the larger Angel fish definitely hunts the small Cardinalā€™sā€¦ and completely ignores the Rummyā€™sā€¦ so I donā€™t think itā€™s the water, but one or two of the cardinals are disappearing every day or soā€¦ this is too bad, they looked awesome in this tank, but I may have to just say they are too small, and look at some more larger tetrasā€¦
I think Iā€™m still going to add another 4 or so palmeri emperorā€™s to try to get a couple green eyes, to go with the 2 males I end up withā€¦

Well... I'm down to 3 Cardinals now... biggest Angel is still hunting them, before they school up in the morning... I really like having the bright colors, but these were apparently too small... not really seeing anything bigger with the bright blue ( I already have a pair of electric blue rams in the tank ) and the bigger angel has always had a blueish sheen... maybe eating the cardinals will give it a bit more blue color???

thought about adding a school of Ember Tetras... I've never had them before... they have the look of the common skirt tetras, but seem a little smaller & seem pretty red, when they are at their best... anyone here a fan of Embers Hyphessobrycon sweglesi ???

When you said ember tetras the fish which sprang to mind was Hyphessobrycon amandae and I thought, if the angels are eating cardinals they'll make short work of those. Then I read further and see you mean the fish more commonly called red phantoms :)

Well the 2 biggest Cardinals are doing great, ( there has been 2 now for a week or more ) they are big enough, that the Angel has quit hunting themā€¦ this makes me confident 10 or so medium large should be fine, if I can get them a little biggerā€¦ 4 more Palmri Emperorā€™s should arrive this weekā€¦ the 2 ( of 6 ) that I tried to order earlier, are both malesā€¦ hoping to get a couple females, for some dancing and showing off, as the season passes, waiting for bigger Cardinals

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back