1 fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pumaf1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have beenreading loads about this while I am off work this week, and I have seen many site reccomend that I should get a hardy fish to help setup my tank as far as ammonia/bacteria levels are concerned, I dont think from what I have read here and on another site that this is a good idea.

can any of you guys advise?

btw my tanks has beenr unning for 48 hours now, up to temp (25c) or (78f).

whats the best temp range?

(I was thinking of a guppie) and buying it tomorrow

Have a look at the pinned article in this forum about cycling the tank, there's loads of good info.

It can be done with or without fish. If you want to do it with fish, I would reccomend 3 danio's, they are extremely hardy and quite small and should survive a cycle comfortably if done properly.

I have gone for zebra danios, one has died (not due to cycling i dont think), all the others are doing fine so far.

I used platies to cycle my tank (you didn't mention the size of your tank but i'm pretty sure that you'd need more than one guppy for cycling), however if I were to do it again I would opt for the fishless cycle. Even with a hardy fish like a platy or danio, the cycling process is still very stressful to them... plus you need to ask yourself if you are going to want those fish as part of your tank once cycling is complete?

As suggested, take a look at the pinned articles... they are really very good and don't be scared to ask lots of questions :)

Good luck!!

I got platty to cycle my tank and my partner insisted that we get neon tetra as well, after a week 3 platty have died while the neons are doing great. I thought the platty were the hard ones? :dunno:

ive recentley started with the tropical fish craze and the advice i got from my supplier was to cycle the tank for 7 days with no fish and after 7 days introduce some hardy fish. the fish have been in there a week now with no deaths or problems. :D

pumaf1 said:
i will wait then and just cyckle the tank
You need to do something to the tank to cycle it. IE put fish in, use media from a currently running tank, or use bacteria in a bottle. Water alone has nothing to start the ammonia that will start the bact. growth in your filter and tank.

the ammonia from the fish urine feeds the bacteria which is on the rocks you got from your dad. If you leve the rocks in there with no fish or other ammonia source the bacteria will die and your tank will not be 'seeded'.

I cycle with a bunch of guppies yet the fishless cycle is also a worthwhile option. Which ever way ya go, best of luck!

smb7676 said:
pumaf1 said:
i will wait then and just cyckle the tank
You need to do something to the tank to cycle it. IE put fish in, use media from a currently running tank, or use bacteria in a bottle. Water alone has nothing to start the ammonia that will start the bact. growth in your filter and tank.
pumaf1 pick your poison.

So as a question: Why can't you use the water from the established tank to speed things up? Or just in total surely that will have the right balance of everything?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back