Zzzzzzz...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Saz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Once people find out that I keep fish they always ask me do fish sleep. I always reply well...yes but...uhm...well kinda. When I turn the lights off the fish do eventually settle down. They gather together or they hide and stay almost motionless. However if you move they start to react and then they all wake up. Is this really sleep of just resting but awake?

What do you think? Love Sarah xxx :p

Betta*b*Happy! said:
I once asked google 'do fish have ears?' and i got back the answer 'they sure do!'
[snapback]887134[/snapback]​
... which is the WRONG answer!

Fish do not have ears, instead many species have the lateral line which runs along the body from the head to the tail and is sensitive to enviromental vibrations and a number of other things including chemistry, heat, electricity, and even light in some species

Fish actually do have ears, just not external ones, and a sense of hearing separate from their lateral line.

"Fish do not have external ears, but sound vibrations readily transmit from the water through the fish's body to its internal ears. The ears are divided into two sections, an upper section (pars superior) and a lower section (utriculus) The pars superior is divided into three semicircular canals and give the fish its sense of balance. It is fluid-filled with sensory hairs. The sensory hairs detect the rotational acceleration of the fluid. The canals are arranged so that one gives yaw, another pitch, and the last- roll. The utriculus gives the fish its ability to hear. It has two large otoliths which vibrate with the sound and stimulate surrounding hair cells.

Fish posses another sense of mechanoreception that is kind of like a cross between hearing and touch. The organ responsible for this is the neuromast, a cluster of hair cells which have their hairs linked in a glob of jelly known as 'cupala'. All fish posses free neuromasts, which come in contact directly with the water. Most fish have a series of neuromasts not in direct contact with the water. These are arranged linearly and form the fishes lateral lines. A free neuromast gives the fish directional input.

A lateral line receives signals stimulated in a sequence, and gives the fish much more information (feeling the other fish around it for polarized schooling, and short-range prey detection 'the sense of distant touch')."

Source

Damn right Synirr! Well said! :D

Thank you Betta*b*happy that did answer my question! Fish do sleep and/or rest :p

um hi yeah just got a tropical fish tank got some angel fish etc in there just wonderin do i turn the aquarium light of when i go to sleep or is it ok to leave on and suggestions

i dont see why you broght up an old(kinda/sorta)topic. anyway its best to have at off at night. i have mine on usually from 6am to midnight but usually my mom turns em off after i go to school which in that case they are on from 4:30 till midnight. the fish need time to sleep too you know. how would you feel if your roommate was blasting music and had the lights on and your trying to sleep.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back