Zebra Obliquiden

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jazz298

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a female zebra obliquiden, for just over 2 months. As she's growing, she has developed an eye that sticks out way further then the other eye. It looks perfectly normal, not funny colors, or funny shapes, it looks like an eye looks. it just sticks out.. Is this a health issue or just a deformity. Should I be worried about it?

I have a female zebra obliquiden, for just over 2 months. As she's growing, she has developed an eye that sticks out way further then the other eye. It looks perfectly normal, not funny colors, or funny shapes, it looks like an eye looks. it just sticks out.. Is this a health issue or just a deformity. Should I be worried about it?

post a pic buddy, will be able to tell you then!

I managed to get some pictures. I took a bunch of the eye I'm concerned about, and one of the other eye. They look the same. It looks like there is nothing wrong but I want to be sure
I couldn't figure out how to make them bigger so hopefully these are okay. If it is only a deformity, is it still something I should be worried about?

This is the eye I am wondering about
100_0851.jpg

Same eye
100_0853.jpg

Same eye again
100_0855.jpg

Front view
100_0856.jpg

And this is the normal eye, just to compare
NormalEye.jpg

It's a bacterial infection commonly known as "pop-eye" - Generally caused by problems with the water parameters or stress or a combination of the 2. It will be worth doing some water tests to check for problems there and keep an eye on the tank to see if any bullying is occuring. :good:

Well, its been like that for quite some time now, about 4 months ago, when I got her from a friend, it already looked like that
My water is fine I test fairly regularly.
And I'm pretty sure she's the one that bully's not the one who gets bullied.

I have Melafix, it says it treats pop-eye, but what would be better (if anything)
How long until I would see a difference?

It can take weeks to shift popeye :crazy: . I treated a Bala shark successfully with Melafix a couple of years ago so i would go for that. :good:

alright, and would she be okay in a 5 gallon while i treat her?
I dont want to treat a big tank, as its not cheap, and the other fish dont need it.

alright, and would she be okay in a 5 gallon while i treat her?
I dont want to treat a big tank, as its not cheap, and the other fish dont need it.

I can't quite tell by the pictures how large she is, if she's still small a 5gal should work just fine.

Even an adult will be fine short-term in a 5gal. Better that than treating the whole tank. :good:

she's about 3 inches, maybe a little larger.
Thanks for the help!

How short is short term though???

When will you know its completely gone, when it looks normal? Or do you have to treat it for a bit longer after it looks like its gone?

You will be OK for a couple of weeks with the 5 gal, which should be plenty of time. As soon as they eye returns to normal you can stop the treatment and return her to the main tank. :good:

Most reactions

Back