Your Dream Oddball Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Darkehorse

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a friend with a 75 gallon aquarium that isn't being used that I'm thinking about offering to buy from him. I was considering what cool oddball fish I could put in it. Here's what I came up with:

1 small school of Boesemani rainbows.
1 African Butterfly Fish ( Pantodon buchholzi.).
1 Leopard / African Climbing Perch (Ctenopoma acutirostre) - from an existing tank
1 freshwater Archer (Toxotes microlepis)
1 High Back / Marbled Headstander (Abramites hypselonotus)
1 Chinese Hillstream / Butterfly Loach (Beaufortia kweichowensis)
1 Demonfish / Earth Eater cichlid (Satanoperca Leucosticta)
1 Upside down catfish (Synodontis nigriventris) - from an existing tank
Several red claw crabs
Several Mystery or other suitable snails
Hardy freshwater shrimp (not sure, these might end up as breakfast).
Appropriate live plants

I'd basically setup a river bank type tank with a combination of small smooth stones and some sandy substrate for the Loach and the Earth Eater. I'd also leave at least a 10" gap at the top of the tank to allow for jumping by the archer and butterfly. I'd also want to setup a shelf section for the crabs to come out of water.

So what would *you* set up if given the opportunity. I know for some, you've already set up your dream oddball tank. Please share with the rest of us!

-Darke

150 thousand gallons

the snow arowana in my sig
1 redtail cat, one tiger shovelnose
3 flower stingray
2 silver, 2 black aros
3 dozen oscars
one A. Gigas
school of red pacu
4 asian aros, (one platinum Xback, one king, one P gold, one RTG)
40 silver dollars
4 clown knives.

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :drool:

That would b truly awesome

your not wrong
im allready thinking about something bigger and aint even filled up the big tank yet :rolleyes:
when i ordered the tank i didnt know i was converting the garage :angry:

That fish is rubbish for the money, i think it would be pretty stupid to pay $68,888 (singapore) for a regular old silver arowana just because it's albino :crazy:

I'd much prefer an RTG any day :good:

I've got 2 tanks that I'd want.

An 8 foot long by 2 high, by 3 deep for an Mbu, a Giraffe cat, and some cichlids for interest. Rocky looking african biotope style.

A 6x2x2 with eartheaters, my knife fish, some crenicichla and a large plec, probably a panaque.

It is probally the least sane thing a person could ever do, but If I had the money, I'd do it, simply because its as beautiful as a world class platinum Xback (in my opinion more) and I wouldn't get in trouble with CITES. Now the scary part. That wasnt singapore $... that was USD!!!!! :blink:

It is probally the least sane thing a person could ever do, but If I had the money, I'd do it, simply because its as beautiful as a world class platinum Xback (in my opinion more) and I wouldn't get in trouble with CITES. Now the scary part. That wasnt singapore $... that was USD!!!!! :blink:

a fish is only worth what some muppet will pay for it

and you chould get you dream tank for the price of that one fish

none of thease snow or platuim aros do anything for me xback or SA aros i like my fish with some color

i wounder if people whould like the SA snow aro so much if their were loads of them around of they only cost $100

150 thousand gallons

1 redtail cat, one tiger shovelnose
3 flower stingray
2 silver, 2 black aros
3 dozen oscars
one A. Gigas
school of red pacu
4 asian aros, (one platinum Xback, one king, one P gold, one RTG)
40 silver dollars
4 clown knives.

That would b truly awesome
Pretty odd thing to do, putting in a 68k fish as a feeder for the Red Tail (and/or the arapaima).

I have a friend with a 75 gallon aquarium that isn't being used that I'm thinking about offering to buy from him. I was considering what cool oddball fish I could put in it. Here's what I came up with:

1 small school of Boesemani rainbows.
1 African Butterfly Fish ( Pantodon buchholzi.).
1 Leopard / African Climbing Perch (Ctenopoma acutirostre) - from an existing tank
1 freshwater Archer (Toxotes microlepis)
1 High Back / Marbled Headstander (Abramites hypselonotus)
1 Chinese Hillstream / Butterfly Loach (Beaufortia kweichowensis)
1 Demonfish / Earth Eater cichlid (Satanoperca Leucosticta)
1 Upside down catfish (Synodontis nigriventris) - from an existing tank
Several red claw crabs
Several Mystery or other suitable snails
Hardy freshwater shrimp (not sure, these might end up as breakfast).
Appropriate live plants

I'd basically setup a river bank type tank with a combination of small smooth stones and some sandy substrate for the Loach and the Earth Eater. I'd also leave at least a 10" gap at the top of the tank to allow for jumping by the archer and butterfly. I'd also want to setup a shelf section for the crabs to come out of water.

So what would *you* set up if given the opportunity. I know for some, you've already set up your dream oddball tank. Please share with the rest of us!

-Darke

Live plants is a no no with a marbled headstander as they eat them. I have one and he ate all my plants and nips various fish. Lovely fish, but really cheeky and a pest to other fish.

Live plants is a no no with a marbled headstander as they eat them. I have one and he ate all my plants and nips various fish. Lovely fish, but really cheeky and a pest to other fish.

Yeah I had heard that they would eat plants. They eat all of them? I'd hate to fill a nice tank with plastic plants, but I do love the fish; it's one of my absolute favorites. As far as fin nipping, will they nip even hardy fish like the ones I listed? I had heard as long as you give them an area of tank that they can 'stake out' then they do fine (assuming the other fish learn to stay out, quite like the climbing perch). I guess the most susceptible of the listed fish would be the African Butterfly Fish or the Butterfly Loach. It seems like the ABF would be fine because it's a top dweller and the Headstander is mid to bottom. I wonder if the butterfly loaches are scaleless or considered armoured. It would probably be the most likely target of the nipping. I think the Earth eater could fend for itself and the rainbows are too fast. Actually the loach would probably just hide. Who knows. Thanks for the advice.

-Darke

Most reactions

trending

Back