Yet another stocking suggestions thread ;p 40L/10gal

Awesome! Think of it this way, it's better to under-stock than over-stock. Partly so the tank is more stable and easier to manage, but also because it's much easier to add something later, than it is to remove some creatures later, ya know?

If it still seems too empty once you have guppies and shrimp, and maintenance is still easy, you can always add something else weeks or months later. But if you over stock from the beginning.. that's a much more difficult fix.

Please share photos when it's stocked and running! Always nice to see member's tanks.

Oh aye, my intention was never to overstock - thatā€™s why I was asking rather than trusting google. Itā€™s just a difficult thing to judge at first whether something would be too overstocked or not. :) Sure, will do! Thanks for the help! ^^

Don't forget that if you want to keep guppies you will need to add minerals to the new water at exactly the same dose rate at every water change to keep the hardness stable. You must have some of the mineral on hand at all times - you may need to do several large emergency water changes and you cannot risk running out of the mineral.

Or decide to keep soft water fish insead of guppies.

Yep, I know! :) I understand that hardening the water rather than just using it in the state you have it is more of a faff, but itā€™s what Iā€™d prefer to do in this situation given the available options and Iā€™m happy to commit to the extra work. Particularly if the additive is as reliable as seangee says. Iā€™m a biochemical analyst by trade so am comfortable with the measurements/calculations and understand that the condition will have to be maintained on water change :)

Most reactions

Back