Yellow Spot On Cichlid Anal Fin

sledhed89

Reaction score
so i put four small cichlids in a 35 gallon tank about a week ago. a few days in i noticed that one ofthem seemed to have a yellow spot on its anal fin and just today i noticed another had two of the same spots. are these fish getting sick? there is alot of algea forming in this tank so i have been covering it with a sheet idk if that would have anything to do with it but i figured i would let you know. the fish seem to be swimming around normally i am just concerned with these spots. the other two cichlids do not have any spots. thanks in advance - Dave

it sounds like egg spots which are perfectly normal , any chance of a pic?

dont worry some have analfin spots some dont its part of the species and varies massivly even in the same type of fish
no one really know why as some males and females have them the main theroy is a breeding aid for the fish whilst they spin round each other it gives them a target

i tried for a pic but these guys are fast and love to hide apparently lol plus i don't have a good enough camera to pick them up. i searched a picture of egg spots ant that is what they look like to me. my question now is will more show up or will the number of spots always be the same

i tried for a pic but these guys are fast and love to hide apparently lol plus i don't have a good enough camera to pick them up. i searched a picture of egg spots ant that is what they look like to me. my question now is will more show up or will the number of spots always be the same
hi egg spots are used by the males in breeding the females drop their eggs on a flat surfice like flat slate then they pick them up in their mouths as the male shakes his anal fin over the eggs. which the female trys to pick up aswell the male does his business and the eggs are fertalized. both males and females can have egg spots females dont normaly have as many though. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Back