Would Like To Know About Cherry Shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bubblej17

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi there, ive seen alot of cherry shrimps mentioned on this site and was wandering what sort of set up i would need and whats the min tank size if i was to get one,
i have 3 tanks set up at the min one with brackish mollies, one with goldfish and one community,
i dont want to put them in my community as i have lots of cory's so dont need anymore bottom feeders in there,
anyway if you have any advice or pics to share of your shrimps and tank set ups please post would be very greatful thanks in advance :good: :good: :good:

thanks for that web page iSnail some good advice,
does anyone have pics of their shrimp tanks???

wow, yeah i can see why you like it, i would love a set up all well planted like that, are plants a must with shrimp?

There are some people that put their shrimp in a planted tank and there is no doubt it looks great, but there is increasing proof that shrimp do better and are happier in a more basic looking tank with just a few mosses/rocks/wood and no true substrate. I think its a case of seeing what works for you.

Steve.

There are some people that put their shrimp in a planted tank and there is no doubt it looks great, but there is increasing proof that shrimp do better and are happier in a more basic looking tank with just a few mosses/rocks/wood and no true substrate. I think its a case of seeing what works for you.

Steve.
I would like to see this evidence of shrimp preffering no true substrate over one, and evidence they are happier in a less planted tank than a heavily planted one. Most shrimp feel uncomfortable on smooth surfaces as their legs are made for hanging onto stuff like plants, wood, rocks, which you mentioned.This is why shrimp are almost always shipped with plants, at least if it is a relaible breeder. Going by this, a fully planted tank should be just as fine if not better than a semi bare tank with fewer plants and other things to cling to. Ive seen cherry shrimp reproduce like crazy in planted tanks, and it is usually accpeted a breeding animal is a happy animal or at the least comfortable in its enviroment.

Bubble-you should def go planted, youll never go back. Ill have to get a pic of one of my planted shrimp tanks for you. Best of luck!

Drew

Steve.
I would like to see this evidence of shrimp preffering no true substrate over one, and evidence they are happier in a less planted tank than a heavily planted one. Most shrimp feel uncomfortable on smooth surfaces as their legs are made for hanging onto stuff like plants, wood, rocks, which you mentioned.This is why shrimp are almost always shipped with plants, at least if it is a relaible breeder. Going by this, a fully planted tank should be just as fine if not better than a semi bare tank with fewer plants and other things to cling to. Ive seen cherry shrimp reproduce like crazy in planted tanks, and it is usually accpeted a breeding animal is a happy animal or at the least comfortable in its enviroment.

Bubble-you should def go planted, youll never go back. Ill have to get a pic of one of my planted shrimp tanks for you. Best of luck!

Drew

well at the min ive got a few rocks a barrel for hiding and some fake plants in my tank but would like to try java moss, or some kind of carpet for them to try out, i believe if i put some on some slate and tie it on it will take to the slate is this correct? not too good with the live plants side of things lol

Java moss is quite easy to grow and is hardy in most conditions. I'd suggest a planted tank rather than a non planted tank simply because it provides them algae (a part of their diet) as well as hiding places and natural homes. I think a moss carpet is a good idea, but limit it and be sure to maintain it as it can grow rather out of control. Cherries breed like mad under the right conditions, so I'd reccomend a 5 gallon minimum?

I would also try riccia grass and marmio balls(moss balls) as well.

Are you planning to keep the shrimp with other fish?

Java moss is quite easy to grow and is hardy in most conditions. I'd suggest a planted tank rather than a non planted tank simply because it provides them algae (a part of their diet) as well as hiding places and natural homes. I think a moss carpet is a good idea, but limit it and be sure to maintain it as it can grow rather out of control. Cherries breed like mad under the right conditions, so I'd reccomend a 5 gallon minimum?

I would also try riccia grass and marmio balls(moss balls) as well.

Are you planning to keep the shrimp with other fish?

great info thanks, the shrimp are in the tank with 5 tiny lampeyes thats it not adding anything else,

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back