Would anyone be interested in an Iridovirus essay?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kyshiara

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello! I was thinking about writing an essay or something about why you shouldn't get Dwarf gourami. Would anyone be interested in reading it if I did it?

An analysis of where Iridovirus stands in the hobby right now would be interesting.

For a long time, any T. lalia or dwarf gouramid coming in to Canada needed a veterinary permit. That seems to have been relaxed, so I'd be curious if the situation had improved.

It would also be interesting to know about natural lalia versus the solid blue and temporary red supposed linebred forms we see in stores now. I have only seen a real dwarf gourami once in maybe 5 years. I suspect most hobbyists have never seen the complex beauty of a dwarf gourami, and only know the larger, unnaturally coloured ones. What we think of as a dwarf gourami now is very different from what came in 20 years ago.

it could be a complicated article, but a good one.

The Dwarf Gourami is Trichogaster fasciata now, btw.

I thought T. fasciata was a different species, the banded gourami ????

I thought T. fasciata was a different species, the banded gourami ????
It was. Last year it was discovered that T. lalius was a junior synonym of T. fasciata, so it had to be changed. This of course meant the name fasciata was no longer valid for the Banded Gourami, so it is now T. bejeus. :)

Thank you, we learn something new every day :)

So to avoid confusion I now need to write "dwarf gourami, T. fasciata (used to be T. lalia)"

We certainly do. It’s never ending… it can be hard work just to stand still sometimes. :)

This is very much the process that hit my beloved Pelvicachromis taeniatus, that turned out to have been P. kribensis all along, described twice. So the Nigerian taeniatus stayed as taeniatus, the Cameroon 'taeniatus' are kribensis with one becoming drachenfelsi, and "Kribs" are P. pulcher.

Got it.

Some will reject is as silly, but if like me you really like this group of fish, it really answers some questions. And now, research has hit fasciata/lalia. All the while, the aquarium industry wants to put all the species into a blender and produce marketable hybrids.

Most reactions

Back