wood/fan/singapore shrimp

BIANCA

Reaction score
whatever you wanna call them...the wood shrimp that are about 3" and instead of claws they have fans through which they filter feed, anyways...does anyone have them? The petstore here has a bunch of them, they *claim* that they are harmless but what do they know -_-
They will be in with my frogs, dwarf puffers, coolies, and u.d. catfish. Theyre only like 5 bucks so I was gonna get 2 but im worried they may eat my dwarf puffers when they are sleeping or mess with my other fish. So does anyone know if they are agressive or not? Theyre so big it makes me kinda nervous, but i wanna put some crusteceans in the tank and im done with ghost shrimps :blink: ...

No need to worry about these little fellas,we keep 2 in a community set up with neons and glowlights and they have never tried to eat any of their tank mates,i would be a little worried about keeping them with puffers though,puffers can be nippy little things and might try to eat the shrimps a little bit at a time :(

I have one and it is about 4 inches long. Mine is fairly reclusive though, but I have never had any bother with him.

I need to recharge my camera's batteries, but afterwards I will post a piccy of mine to ensure we are on about the same species.

I have a blue armoured shrimp (which is a type of fan shrimp) that is up to about 4" now, almost doubled in size in the last 3 months. I don't get to see him much as he likes to hide behind the rocks pile, but you can just see his fans filtering away at the edge.

I have never seen him go for any of the other inhabitants of the tank and I would agree that they are harmless to fish. I would agree with CFC that the puffers are more likely to pick on the shrimp than vice versa.

Cheers, Eddie

Hi Bianca,

I've never kept them but you should be able to get a bit more info on them here...

SHRIMP :thumbs:

:)

Hello, I hope somebody can help me with my Bambo Shrimp. I have 3 in my tank, two molted a couple of days ago and yesterday all was well, those two were dead this am. Can anybody help me understand? I did a partial water change that was due usual maintenance they withstood may times. Why did this happened? :(

nedra...fan shrimp can often die during a moult. I had a big one that died during a moult some time ago. They can get attacked by other fish while still soft shelled and vulnerable or get stuck while moulting. This is what happened to mine, but I can't offer advice on what may have happened to yours if you said they were fine after their moult.

Bianca...fan shrimp are harmless. They have nothing to attack any other fish with and it's rare to see them 'fan' anything to death :lol:

I'd be more wary about putting them in with your DPs tbh. The shrimp won't be able to move fast enough to get out of the way of the DPs as and when they decide to take a bite of the shrimps to see if they taste nice or not.

Fan shrimp are pretty much, physically incapable of hurting anything except microscopic organisms they may filter out of the water column and eat.

Nedra - moulting takes a lot of energy out of a shrimp, they cant eat whilst they moult, they are generally too shy immediately after a moult to come out and eat, and immediately before a moult they dont feel like eating sometimes..

So all that adds up to a post moult shrimp being very weak, hungry and depleted of energy.

For one to die because of this alone is not uncommon, but because two of yours died, i would be checking out the water quality as well in case something is amiss there - they are generally a good indicator that water quality is off, they will be the first to suffer and die.

Test the tap water you use to do water changes with, before you do anything else - it could be that.

Shrimp do not like copper and this is in a lot of fish treatments to check you didnt use any of those, id hope there isnt copper in your water.. im not sure if you can test for that easily.

As has been mentioned, several times in the last few days - due to the 'similar topics' that come up beneath each thread, people are picking up on old threads, not realising they are old, and posting their question onto the end.

So shoot them... its so very wrong? And what do the rest of us do.. plain ignore them when they have a question and we might have the answer?

At least the two of us who replied to Nedra gave useful information - you... just had to have a pop, nothing constructive or helpful there!

I've heard of people feeding them crushed flack, frozen food liquid, fry food, and green water algae. And I belive that they're capable of eating larger foods as well.

I crush up flake food and as my shrimp seems to live in the fastest flowing area of the tank, I use a dropper to put the flake in that area for him after the other fish have been fed. I have tried liquifry too but he seems to favour powdered flake :)

PS...Canis-Equus - spot on :good:

Ive fed mine on powdered flake as well, i favour getting a small pinch of flake, and then holding it under the water surface and rubbing it between my finger and thumb, just in front of where the shrimp prefer to feed so its blown to them by the water current.

They will also sweep stuff up off the substrate, like weird freaky little road sweepers - but until you know your shrimp i wouldnt bank on them doing that.

Most reactions

Back