Will This Stand Work To Hold My Aquarium?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello I recently just built a new  TV stand in my woodworking class. It is gorgeous. I have no use for my other tv stand so I will put my 20 gallon tall on it. It is not cycled and I got it used from a friend. as of now it's just an empty tank. I wanted to know if this stand would hold my fish tank? I know fish tanks weigh a lot and I'm scared if I fill it up and stuff it might break or fall. Here are some pictures of the stand and the empty tank on it. Would I be safe to use it as a tank stand? pretty sure it's plywood.

Attachments

• IMG_2518.JPG
    IMG_2518.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_2519.JPG
    IMG_2519.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_2520.JPG
    IMG_2520.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 330
Hard to tell, a lot of stands purchased from LFS are made of plywood and chipboard kind of materials anyway, its how its built that can make a difference.

Lets see now, roughly one litre of water is about one kilo, so a 20 gallon is about 75 litres . That makes about 75 kilos roughly, take away 12% for substrate and decor for water displacement, thats about 67 litres of water volume.

Substrate, call it 10 kilos.

Am going to round it up and call it at 80 kilos plus the weight of the tank, about 12 kilos i would say.

Total is then at 92 kilos, rounded up 100 kilos to be sure (about 220lbs).

Hope that helps in assessing if that stand will take that weight, there may be even a label on the stand stating weight limits perhaps.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back