Will These Parrots Breed?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

D

donporter

These 2 go everywhere together, and are always digging in the gravel.
It looks like they are getting ready to breed to me, but I don't know too much about them.

Has anyone got a similar pair, or have any of your parrots bred successfully?

If it's possible, what can I do to improve their chances?

parrotfish.jpg

Breeding is possible idea and they may lay eggs, how ever the males are infertile and sadily the eggs will always fungus up and die with in a couple of days :(

Only the add male will be fertile but these are very rare and have never seen a true breeding pair myself.
What can be done is cross with a male convict and their are a couple of other that can also but not sure personaly.

Thanks for the reply

It's a shame that the chances of them breeding are slim. I think they are beautiful fish. I know others object, but I'm not really qualified to say more.
If they do, and I hope they do I'll let you know.

regards, Don

SSL20221_edited.jpg

Sorry it's a bad photo, but I think you can see she's definately about to lay those eggs.
I wish I had another tank, because there's craters all over the tank but the other fish just won't let them settle.

Everything helter said is correct, in addition, I think they will can cross with a texas cichlid and flowerhorns.

Drew

Does look like she's about to lay eggs.. She will probably eat them herself when they turn white.

She did lay her eggs a few days after I posted the picture. They managed to look after them for a few days, but the next time I looked they had gone.
I've put them in a tank on their own now as they've become very aggressive.

Did they lay eggs again?

It looked like they were going through the mating rituals again, but I had to take them back to the LFS yesterday. They had become very aggressive and were going for everything in the tank. My spare tank is about to become a crayfish nursery, so I had nowhere else to put them.

Regards, Don

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back