Will Synos Or Red Tailed Loaches Kill Corys?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MewMew42

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I used to have 14 corys in my tank but for some reason they have been dropping :( I have 5 left now and Im wondering if the syno or loach could be doing it?

my water is perfect so, i dont have any other explanation, unless you guys do?

What type of syno is it? they can be a little active and some of the bigger ones can be a little territorial but i wouldnt think it would have be them that killed them .Not sure on the loaches ive never heard of them before.

As in Red Tail Botias, Yasuhikotakia modesta? They can be aggressive.

Which species of Synodontis? Again, some of them could be a real threat to cory.

yeah that loach, he was given to me, hes rather placid though i dont know what he gets up to at night

the syno is eupterus ive had him since he was abot 5cm long, again never seen him attack

I just love my corys :(

Red Tailed Loaches are one of the most aggressive loaches and will attempt to kill Cories. :-( Definatly not recommended! :no:

Both those species are supposed to be more active at night and both have a reputation for being agressive towards smaller fish, especially the Syno as it gets older. They both also will turn into giants relative to most cory, apparently around 30cm (the Botias came into Aquajardin and I was all up for getting a small group, until I discovered they need warmer water than my Hillstream Trout going in the 5x2x2 with a thermomter setting of 22C.

Have you got another tank you can move the cory to? It could so easily be either or both these tankmates doing the carnage
sad1.gif

eeeeep thats the last time i do anyone a favour!

I can try to give the loach away and maybe move my cories [as theyre pretty small] into my nano..hmmmm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back