Will Shrimps Get On With The Fish In My Community Tank

jimn

New Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2008
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
suffolk, England
Hi, I was thinking of getting some shrimps for my 100l community aquirium but am unsure on whether they would do o.k. with the fish I have

2 x keyhole cichilds
cardinal tetras
leopard danio
glass cats
hatchett fish
pangasius catfish ( I may give him up soon as getting a bit big )
bulldog / rubber lipped plec ( he is the one I would expect may be a problem )
porthoplo / hoplosturnum catfish
featherfin catfish
peckoltia ( not sure of what sort neither was my LFS )

I would imagine that most of the fish would be o.k with the shrimps but think the bulldog plec may go for them as he is a bit territorial. I think the featherfin could also be a problem as about 4 - 5 inches.

Does anyone have any thoghhts on this or have experience of keeping shrimp with the fish I have? ALso any thoghts on what shrimps I should go for. I like the look of the cherry red ones?

Thanks
 
I would think both catfish would eat your shrimp. I know the featherfin would.

Also, every fish of yours would eat the baby shrimp.

If you are really interested in getting some shrimp, set up a 5gal tank. Doesn't need to be expensive, I got an acrylic one for £10. Added some sand from my current tank, a bit of java moss and wood, and all done. :good: Doesn't need to be filtered if you do a few little water changes a week.
 
Unless it's fairly large amano species then any one of those fish could eat your shrimp. I had cherry shrimp, tiger, bee and small amano in my tank all my female bettas ate them all :(
 
oh I see. I also have a male fighter so i guess the poor little guys would stand no chance. thanks for the help
:good:
 
You may be ok with Anamo shrimp as they are bigger than most dwarf shrimp.

My Betta didn't bother my Anamos when they shared the 7 Gal but he didn't like smaller shrimp.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top