What's new

Wild type Fish

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
@GaryE laments the passing of Xiphophorus maculatus , the original Wild Platy's . I search in vain for the original wild type Aplocheilus lineatus. The Killifish and Livebearer associations both have conservation committees that promote the keeping and captive breeding of endangered species. Their efforts have proved both fruitful and futile. Sports that would never survive in the wild are now prevalent while native fish are threatened or extinct . Some have never been seen in the hobby by the new generation of aquarists. If you find these rarities buy them and breed them and pass them around.
image.jpeg

its good to hear of tff members who are helping with fish conservation. By the time I retire I’m hoping to have a bit of a fish room scenario on the go and attempt to play a small part similarly. My knowledge level will undoubtedly need to increase.

@GaryE laments the passing of Xiphophorus maculatus , the original Wild Platy's . I search in vain for the original wild type Aplocheilus lineatus. The Killifish and Livebearer associations both have conservation committees that promote the keeping and captive breeding of endangered species. Their efforts have proved both fruitful and futile. Sports that would never survive in the wild are now prevalent while native fish are threatened or extinct . Some have never been seen in the hobby by the new generation of aquarists. If you find these rarities buy them and breed them and pass them around. View attachment 307037
I'm kinda keep an eye out for those. I found a website that has them listed, but they are out of stock...

Thanks for the terrific post. i always appreciate learning new things.

Also, send my regards to the photographer. Awesome pic.

Have you tried finding these fish at the Xiphophorus Genetic Stock Center https://www.xiphophorus.txst.edu/

They do sell some fish. Go here to their FAQ page for information re this. You need to have some sort of status to ge their fish I think. But they want to help keep these species going and I think they would likely sell to serious breeders as well.
https://www.xiphophorus.txst.edu/faq.html

They list all their species here and there is a link to a Stock Request Form https://www.xiphophorus.txst.edu/stocks.html

I think we have to see our dying hobby in its widest form. Most people, myself included, get into this in search of pretty fish. The natural history of fish, or their diversity aren't part of the game. We want to shoehorn as many fish into limited tanks as we can, and the disasters that causes makes people quit. There a high turnover at the entry level of fishkeeping.

There is a small percentage who get curious and end up at places like here, exploring the stories of the fish to be able to better keep them.

In this group, I hope people who have resources in space and income might decide to start breeding fish - not as a money maker (good luck to all with that) but to learn. If you get good at it, there are conservation programs you can tie into, and maybe at the very least you can make our hobby look better. I believe there is a lot to be learned, and while one hobbyist has too short a time to maintain a species, and whole bunch of one hobbyists working together can play a positive role.

Eventually, we will face legislation that will ban our hobby, and a few others, if we don't start playing a positive role. Outside of China, the hobby is shrinking rapidly. To a point, some interested hobbyists are going to have to start making stronger connections. We'd be fools to expect newcomers to take this direction, but once you have the basics down, connecting with hobbyist conservation groups can be a next level project.
I still keep wild breeds of the X.maculatus
In the message @Back in the fold referenced, I said other than the Dutch, who are doing things right, they are hard to find. I haven't seen wild type platys in North America except in the wild.

I doubt that will happen in this forum. I find it to be more of a chat room for kids & others who like fish, not a fish forum. There are, of course, a few notable exceptions such as you.

I doubt very much anything is going to happen in this hobby. Here, we've lost some important voices recently, to bans and immature posters, and I notice on places like FB, that the experienced, interested aquarist groups are dying. The people who have earned themselves 'names' in the hobby can't seem to find anywhere to talk fish and a serious approach to fishkeeping willing to go on forums are becoming fewer, but there are some people here lurking behind made up names who are really known and respected. They contribute a lot, as do the people who may make names for themselves in the future.

I think there's room in discussions for newcomers, old timers, Ichthyologists and fishnuts. The chat has room for Ich-theologists, and people who like fish and want to talk about other stuff too.

I do notice the people I come here to read tend to agree in general, and that doesn't make big discussions.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back