Wild caught fishes in coldwater tanks

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Wyld-Fyre

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Thinking back to when I was a kid, many moons a go, I use to enjoy going down to the local rivers and trying my luck in catching (British) sticklebacks, minnows, stone loaches, bullheads and crayfish.

I even thought about one day owning a tank which I'd stock up with some of these listed fishes.

Now as an adult, I have heard that British LFSs are only starting to sell these type of fishes. That got me thinking. Why the heck would I want to spend good money on fishes I could freely catch down the local river?

That is if I wanted to. Now, I know about all of the potential problems you could encounter about keeping wild fishes, ie diseases, parasites, wild habits etc but has anyone actually done this?

Come on I know you're out there. How long have you quarantined? How has the domestication process gone?

hey i've tried a couple of times. at my grandparent's lake house i caught a small large mouth bass minnow. i fed it smaller minnows, but it died after a week.

also, in my parent's pond (200 gal) i have put bluegill. they are a lot of fun to feed bugs from under rocks in the yard. they seem to do very well.

Kribs, coldwater fish were practically the first kind I ever had, and the only. My brother kept a bass in his tank with some river eels and minnows, the crayfish crawled out and the turtle drowned itself in the driftwood, but everyone else was cool. I had a rock bass in my tank, but I found out that I I wouldn't be able to get ahold of a bigger tank for it so I let him go again. I like the eels but they're hard to keep in the tank, they like to climb out using the filter as well as the crayfish. I'd go for it, you can always treat disease's if they have any.

And I thought I was the only 'devil' in the pack! (No offence intended if you're an angel - always looking up to you!) :D

Haven't yet found a supplier for domesticated British fishes, but would love to know of any.

Tanks! :D

don't know if this counts, but the filter broke on our hot tub a while back and it is now slap full of tadpoles. my daughter won't let us clean it out so we can put a new pump system on and actually use the hot tub again. not till all the tadpoles(and froggy parents) are gone.

That's so sweet! :D

Watch out though. I've heard that some species will visit the same body/pool of water for generations. :D

That would be an unfortunate event. You go out to the tub, settle in only to hear croaking and a frog jumps in your lap.

Most reactions

Back