Wierd Behaviour

fish.com1

Fishaholic
Joined
Jul 20, 2008
Messages
424
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Yorkshire
Hi everyone.

My spotted climbing perch has been in my tank now for 2 months. He has never been a good eater and is still only 4cm long. He doesn't like flake food so i give him live foods at least twice a week. Recently though (in the last 3 weeks) he seems to have faded away. He used to be swimming around the tank all the time but now he ususally just stays under the mopani wood in the tank and doesn't move around a lot. He seems very weak and just stays in one place not moving. He is healthy on the outside no signs of illnesses and all the other fish in my tank are fine and in perfect health too. I think he may be hiding away because he isn't getting enough food. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Has anyone any ideas on what may be wrong with him?

Thank you.
 
I know nothing about Spotted Climbing Perch, but while waiting for an expert, I thought I'd ask what's probably one of my trademark silly questions.
Could anybody in the tank be picking on him?
I had something similar happen, and it was quite unexpected that the particular fish bullying the others was, but there were actual injuries and deaths as a result.
Even though I often watch that tank, it was hard to identify the culprit which caused the injuries, and it took a while to sort things out.
Some of the fish being picked on became weakened due to the stress and a mycobacterial infection they'd been dealing with long term took over...
(Edit: missed a letter in there...)
 
Size of tank in gallons or litries.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
What live foods do you feed him.
Does he look skinny or bloated.
Being pale and lethagic can be signs of a bacterial infection.
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Ctenopoma_acutirostre.php
 
96 litres
Stocked with -
5 lemon tetras
6 cherry barbs
2 rams
1 bristlenose catfish
1 female siamese fighting fish (no problems with other fish)
1 red honey gourami
1 ruby barb
and the spotted climbing perch
Live foods - bloodworm, daphnia,brine shrimp 2 - 3 times a week.
I'm really sorry i am going to get a test kit soon, but at the moment I don't have any water stats. However i did a 40 percent water change yesterday and all the other fish seem fine and healthy.
I don't think any other fish in the tank are picking on him. I think the problem is he is very hungry. I am getting a medicine dropper today because he is at the bottom of the tank and if i drop food down to him the other fish eat it before he gets a chance.So i was thinking to try and drop the food with the dropper near him Can anyone think of any other ways of getting food to him?
He doesn't look pale or lethargic.
Thanks.
 
Need to get water tested as its the first thing to rule out when a fish is not it's self.
Take a sample of your water to the lfs and ask them to write the readings down for you,.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top