Why Tropical?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Blobfish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've always kept tropical fish and haven't to date ever felt the desire to keep saltwater fish.  I'm not really sure why.  I guess I like lush green tanks.  I like to look at saltwater sections of shops when I get the chance, love some of the fish and corals but still, something so far fails to inspire me to take that step.  So I was wondering how everyone else feels about the fresh water/salt water issue.

I have never wanted sw tanks. Part of it is my dislike of saltwater itself. It has been close to 40 years since I last went swimming in the ocean or spent time lying on the beach. I like the shore and I love the seafood, but I hate the feeling of dried salt on my skin and sand in my shorts.

I am also not real big on critters which tend to be a large part of reef tanks at least.

I've never wanted a SW set up either!

First of all, I like the look of freshwater tanks better; they're 'softer'; marine tanks always seem a bit prickly and crusty to me 
blush.png

And marine fish, although they have some nice colours, don't tend to have the metallic colours and shine that freshwater fish have, and that's one of my favourite things about tropical fish.

And, just to cap it all, I looked after a friend's reef tank for a few months and it was waaaay too much hassle. Just mixing the water was a pain.

I love my marine tank. There is so much I can do in it that I can't in a FW tank. 
That said...I also love my FW tanks and there are things I can do in there I can't in a marine tank. 

This is why I have both and as long as I'm able will. I love plants and the types of fish I can put in my FW tank and I love corals, anemone crabs, hermits, wonderful relationships like my anemone and the clowns, my tangs, my tiny coral dwelling fish like my panda clown and yellow clown goby and so much more. 

For me it's not one or the other. Since I was 5 years old it's been WATER and the THINGS THAT LIVE IN WATER. From the first tadpoles I raised to frogs to the corals I keep today it's just that aquatic life is so fascinating to me that I can't leave it alone. 

But...if one is just looking at the amount of effort, time, and expense...then stick with FW beccause marine can be WAY up there. My wave maker cost nearly $600 USD, the skimmer was around $300 and let's not even talk about the lights! Then there are the animals...corals can be costly...my purple tang was $180 and that's considered a good price. Cheap fish like clownfish are $19. Even my tiny little goby are $14 or more. 

I set up my entire 10 gallon planted tank for around $100 and that includes everything...Co2 unit, LED to grow plants, heater, small canister, substrate, plants, shrimp and fish. And I have microfish which actually tend to run a little more so even with those it's WAY cheaper.

Oh...and just to be totally silly and picky...marine tanks are tropical too. ;)

I used to have a marine and its due to cost and time that i am coming back to tropical. 
It can be incredibly expensive and time consuming!

Jon

I have several FW tanks and I find them fascinating, always something new to learn :)

Am also tempted by SW at times but am put off mainly by costs, amount of equipment and how to control water parameters as think its a completely different set of water parameters you need to watch out for.

I think it's more of a comfort thing for me. I can leave my 3 tanks and go on holiday and know that the person who looks after it can't do much damage to it whereas marine tanks can go very wrong very quickly.

Also the selection and colours of tropical fish are cheaper and more beautiful in my oppinion.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back